drank Gingerbread Matcha by DAVIDsTEA

DAVIDsTEA Advent Calendar – Day 12

Halfway through advents already?! NOOOOOOOOO!

But seriously, I will miss having these little surprise tea gifts to open every day. Although I imagine it will be nice to be able to choose all of my teas and get in more sipdowns…

So I prepared this as a cold latte, whisking it with warm water and then pouring over ice with an equal-ish amount of milk. It didn’t quite all fit in my chosen glass, so I set some of the matcha-water mix aside. And I’m glad too, because I got distracted and let a lot of the ice melt in my latte, which watered it down (please note that this always happens when I have drinks with ice in them…). So I added some milk to the leftover matcha and now I have a nice little cup to sip on while writing this!

So I tried this straight and it mostly just tasted like powdered ginger to me, not really like gingerbread cookies at all. The milk does help to add a bit of cookie-ness, but still mostly ginger. I will say this one seems a bit less sweet to me, which is a positive. I’m not getting a ton of matcha flavor, just a touch of grassiness, but I think the ginger is probably overpowering it. There’s not much bitterness here either, for what it’s worth.

So definitely not my favorite, it’s a good one for lattes though because of the strong flavor.

So for jam, today it’s Cherry-Blackberry Spread. Yum, sounds scrumptious. I had a hard time spreading this one, it was a bit thin and didn’t want to cover very well because of the crushed berries. I think the blackberry has the upper hand here, despite the name. I get a delicious rich blackberry flavor with just a little bit of tart cherry. It’s delicious, but I think a little more cherry would be nice, otherwise it’s hard to tell it’s not just a blackberry jam!

(today’s advent teas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CItKDkWgMAT/)

Flavors: Ginger, Grass, Spicy, Sugar, Sweet

Iced 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
VariaTEA

It didn’t even dawn on me that 12 meant we are halfway but something felt significant about today so that must be it lol

tea-sipper

You could always just buy 12 different advents and have one a month for the entire year…

I mean, I ended up doing 9 advents total this year, so I’m not far off… XD

VariaTEA

My Plum Deluxe advent hasn’t arrived yet. I suppose I could have a January advent. My sister’s bday is January 22 so if I start a couple days early, I could say I am counting down to her bday. I already say the December advents are a countdown to my brother’s bday lol.

Cameron B.

OMG! Is it still in the US? Because the postal service here is really behind and slow right now.

Comments

VariaTEA

tea-sipper

I mean, I ended up doing 9 advents total this year, so I’m not far off… XD

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2022 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- August Sipdowns: 25
- Total 2022 Sipdowns: 122

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: