Gingerbread Matcha

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
155 °F / 68 °C 16 oz / 473 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

How it tastes
Sweet, spicy and heartwarming, with all the comforting flavour of gingerbread

Sweet, spicy & heartwarming. Inspired by the comforting flavours of freshly baked gingerbread, this energizing all-natural matcha green tea is the coziest way to get your daily dose. Try it as a frothy green tea latte topped with a dash of cinnamon a holiday treat that’s as delicious as it is comforting.

Cane sugar, Matcha green tea, Natural gingerbread flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

It’s a chilly morning, and if my head barometer is as accurate as it usually is, I think we are getting snow today! So I decided to make this as a straight latte this morning. I deviated slightly from my smoothie preparation in that I used twice as much milk (two cups instead of one, as I wanted a big ol’ mug) and the milk was warmed in the milk frother.

This smells like buttermilk pancakes to me! I’m also getting a bit of a spice note, most notably cinnamon. It also tastes like buttermilk pancakes to me, if you dusted them in spices instead of using syrup. There is just something sort of cakey/buttery about the flavor to me. The spices are sweet rather than biting, and I taste cinnamon, ginger, and possibly a hint of nutmeg? I definitely can see gingerbread in this, but I think that really strong melted butter taste I’m getting mid-sip is what makes this taste more like a stack of pancakes. I am not tasting the matcha itself in this one, though… In the others where I got hints of the matcha I used much less milk, which I’m sure did make a difference. If I squint there is a subtle vegetal bite hidden beneath the spice, but then the spice coats my mouth with warmth and sweetness and it vanishes almost as quickly as I noticed it.

In any event, I really like this! It’s very warm and satisfying, and a flavor profile like this fits the level of sweetness I typically find in these matchas.

Flavors: Butter, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Pastries, Spices, Sweet

3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Davids Tea Matcha Advent Day 12.

This was pleasant but nothing memorable. Mostly a light matcha with ginger at the end, especially after adding milk (the ginger seemed stronger before). I was excited for some real spices of gingerbread but didn’t feel like they came through.

Flavors: Ginger

DavidsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar 2020 – Day 12

Backlog from the weekend – this one was…interesting lol. I didn’t really know what to expect in a gingerbread matcha…the smell whisking it up was not a resounding endorsement. I found it very spicy while whisking and a bit weird since it’s a matcha. But the flavored redeemed it a bit in my eyes – it was a smooth, cookie like, lightly ginger flavored sweet beverage. I finished my cup pretty easily. Maybe not my first choice of matcha, but definitely a unique one! Will finish my sample with no complaints, although definitely will do it during the holidays – can’t picture having this not around Christmas haha.

Prepared in the usual method, 175 degree water, whisk, top up with hot water, drink.

DAVIDsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 12

I made this as a latter and I don’t like it. At first I thought it did because I got rich molasses and baked goods and ginger from it. But that ginger dissolves to the grassy matcha and this just ends up taking on too much of an odd dirt/grass/milk combo and I am not a fan.

Yum, I love dirt milk. XD

Hahahaha it was…something

DAVIDsTEA Advent Calendar – Day 12

Halfway through advents already?! NOOOOOOOOO!

But seriously, I will miss having these little surprise tea gifts to open every day. Although I imagine it will be nice to be able to choose all of my teas and get in more sipdowns…

So I prepared this as a cold latte, whisking it with warm water and then pouring over ice with an equal-ish amount of milk. It didn’t quite all fit in my chosen glass, so I set some of the matcha-water mix aside. And I’m glad too, because I got distracted and let a lot of the ice melt in my latte, which watered it down (please note that this always happens when I have drinks with ice in them…). So I added some milk to the leftover matcha and now I have a nice little cup to sip on while writing this!

So I tried this straight and it mostly just tasted like powdered ginger to me, not really like gingerbread cookies at all. The milk does help to add a bit of cookie-ness, but still mostly ginger. I will say this one seems a bit less sweet to me, which is a positive. I’m not getting a ton of matcha flavor, just a touch of grassiness, but I think the ginger is probably overpowering it. There’s not much bitterness here either, for what it’s worth.

So definitely not my favorite, it’s a good one for lattes though because of the strong flavor.

So for jam, today it’s Cherry-Blackberry Spread. Yum, sounds scrumptious. I had a hard time spreading this one, it was a bit thin and didn’t want to cover very well because of the crushed berries. I think the blackberry has the upper hand here, despite the name. I get a delicious rich blackberry flavor with just a little bit of tart cherry. It’s delicious, but I think a little more cherry would be nice, otherwise it’s hard to tell it’s not just a blackberry jam!

(today’s advent teas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CItKDkWgMAT/)

Flavors: Ginger, Grass, Spicy, Sugar, Sweet

Iced 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
VariaTEA

It didn’t even dawn on me that 12 meant we are halfway but something felt significant about today so that must be it lol

tea-sipper

You could always just buy 12 different advents and have one a month for the entire year…

I mean, I ended up doing 9 advents total this year, so I’m not far off… XD

VariaTEA

My Plum Deluxe advent hasn’t arrived yet. I suppose I could have a January advent. My sister’s bday is January 22 so if I start a couple days early, I could say I am counting down to her bday. I already say the December advents are a countdown to my brother’s bday lol.

Cameron B.

OMG! Is it still in the US? Because the postal service here is really behind and slow right now.

Mmmmmm. Enjoying this as an oat milk latte topped with whipped cream this morning and it is wonderful. With the oat milk, the ‘cookie’ notes become much more pronounced, and the spiciness is mellowed out. It’s warm, cozy, and festive. Like most of DavidsTea’s matcha, it’s pretty sweet, but I prefer my flavored teas on the sweet side, so I don’t mind it.

Kawaii433

The Gingerbread sounds good. :D

Kawaii433

Since I am new to flavored matchas, I think they would be great as latte vs traditional. Going to try them that way. Makes more sense than drinking them super concentrated. I really enjoyed the Mermaid Matcha too btw. Thank you!

amandastory516

I definitely prefer flavored matchas latte style.
I’m glad you liked it, you’re very welcome!

Tastes chalky to me but it is drinkable. I can taste gingerbread a tiny bit but overall not the greatest fan of it. I prefer the Candy Cane matcha and I was lucky to be able to exchange this with a friend for something else I really liked.

I was looking forward to trying this, hoping to find a gingerbread tea I like… The flavour is there, but its very subtle. The powder smells stronger than the tea tastes. I don’t know why. I find this flavour to be more subdued than any of the other matchas. I’ll finish the rest I have, maybe it will be better iced. I definitely don’t dislike it, but its not what I was hoping for.

Flavors: Ginger, Spices

170 °F / 76 °C

So, a while back one of my favourite Youtube channels made a “Pumpkin Spice Pizza” and I just got absolutely obsessed with the concept and became determined to recreate it with my own “twist” by incorporating tea into it somehow.

Well, about a week ago I FINALLY bought all of the things to make the whole thing. Fresh pizza dough, coconut oil, pumpkin puree in place of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, spinach, tomato, and a mix of Italian seasonings and cinnamon. Pop that in the toasted over and let it cook for about fifteen minutes and… well, BAM! Pumpkin Spice Pizza. That’s not all of it though; I also made a Brown Sugar Spice Syrup to drizzle over top the pizza using cinnamon sticks, cinnamon powder, clove, gingerbread matcha, vanilla, and (of course) brown sugar. Super, super decadent and rich – and the perfect accompaniment to my pizza creation.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqbVAx-FBPg/

It’s true that this pizza doesn’t really know whether or not it wants to be savory or sweet but it’s still really good. The sauce completely makes it though; very rich and warming and that strong cinnamon and gingerbread taste actually goes incredibly well with both the cheese and tomato slices on the pizza.

I’d actually 100% make this again, and I highly recommend that you do too!