This is the top tier of matcha for Matchaeologist. I was impressed with matsu, save for the color, so my expectations for this one are definitely higher. So let’s begin!

First the color. Gorgeous! Just what I was hoping. That luscious emerald/jade green. Slightly chocolatey aroma. Very soft to the touch. Likewise with the liquid, a serene green appearance. Wish it was accented with a lovely froth but that is something I find hard to do.

As I poured in more water a unique marine aroma drifted up to my nose. Wish I could explain it but it was gone so quickly. Silky mouth feel. That slightly marine flavor came back again; it’s almost fishy in flavor but it comes and goes so quickly. Do not worry though as strange as it is I’ve only had the sensation a few times in the many sips I’ve taken. Maybe it’s me? Regardless, if you like umami this has a wonderful umami undertone to it. Slightly grassy, no astringency.

Tea is a way of life. The more you drink tea, the more you learn about tea. I’m mostly a purist but also a bit of a tea adventurist. If there is a new tea or brand to be discovered I will try it out. I love every type save for dark teas which I just can’t seem to take a fancy to. The only ones I usually refuse to try are green tea and citrus mixes. Just nope.

I’m a stay at home mom who loves gardening, exploring, and being with my family.

Minnesota