drank 2013 Gongmei by white2tea

Unusually fragrant when opening the bag, it smells so much like hot cross buns, which is what I’ve experienced in a few other aging whites, but the intensity here is striking. Yeasty rolls, red fruits, icing sugar, citrus; cinnamon undertone but definitely not a distinct note.

Warming a rinsing brings in full force a potpourri of flowers both fresh and dried, more differentiated citrus notes, honey and whiffs of something like myrrh.

The tea does well with shorter and longer steeps in a gaiwan, my preference lying in the latter. Very hot water is needed to reveal the depth of aromas and flavors. The floral aroma slips underneath the first sips which are at first sweet with nectar and tangy with citrus. A full, underlying woody and dried autumn leaf character mingles with red fruits and apricot. A muted caramelized sugar note keeps the tea from going too woody or leafy. Citrus zest notes are prominent in the finish and continue to grow. The bottom of the cup smells so rich and sweet, like molten, bubbling sugar just beginning to brown.

I’ve also brewed this western a few times with pretty long steeps, 5, sometimes 10 minutes. The redfruits and citrus become muted and the tea becomes very syrupy sweet and woody. The syrupy sweetness reminds me of Costa Rican agua dulce.

It’s a good aging white with no flaws. Long-lasting tea, high energy but not too strong. A tea I could see myself buying another sample of but not a whole cake.

Flavors: Apricot, Bread, Brown Sugar, Chrysanthemum, Cinnamon, Citrus Zest, Dry Leaves, Geranium, Honey, Incense, Lemon, Nectar, Peony, Perfume, Powdered Sugar, Red Fruits, Sugarcane, Sweet, Tangerine, Tangy, Thick, Vanilla, Wet Wood, Wood, Yeast

Boiling
gmathis

Sounds so nice!

Kittenna

Agreed, got my mouth watering a bit!

Leafhopper

I think you gave me a sample of this one. I’ve been trying to avoid caffeine because I haven’t been sleeping well, but I look forward to trying it when I can. White teas always seem to get me buzzed.

Martin Bednář

Sounds wonderful :)

derk

It’s probably the most agreeable aging white I’ve had.

derk

Leafhopper, you’ll probably want to avoid this one for a while if you’re cutting back caffeine.

Leafhopper

Derk, I thought that might be the case. I’ve been trying to drink caffeinated teas only in the morning, though I’m not sure it’s helping me sleep.

derk

If you want any suggestions beyond reduced tea consumption, let me know. I hate to hear of you suffering. Take care <3

Leafhopper

I think my bout of insomnia is due to stress and inactivity, as I’ve been avoiding going outside due to this COVID nuisance. However, suggestions are welcome.

Comments

gmathis

Sounds so nice!

Kittenna

Agreed, got my mouth watering a bit!

Martin Bednář

Sounds wonderful :)

derk

It’s probably the most agreeable aging white I’ve had.

Leafhopper

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA