drank Eye Support by Good Tea Good Day

Sipdown! (3 | 401)

Okay, so a friend of mine on Instagram received a sampler from this company for review, and I was so intrigued by the ingredients that I had to order their sampler for myself. It’s a Hong Kong-based company focusing on traditional Chinese medicine-based herbal tisanes. Now, I’m not personally interested in the wellness benefits (if any) of the blends, but I just found the ingredients so interesting and the packaging so pretty that I couldn’t resist! The tisanes are packaged in individual 500 ml servings in clear bags so you can see all the large and pretty whole fruits and flowers inside. So here we go!

I chose this one randomly tonight, and it contains chrysanthemum blossoms, dried goji berries, and dried longan fruit. I followed the instructions and rinsed the ingredients first before steeping for 20 minutes. My teapot of choice is slightly smaller than 500 ml, but I figured it was close enough and I really wanted to use a glass teapot with a built-in strainer so the fruit and flowers were free to float around. It’s crazy how much the longan plumped up! I’ve never had longan but it seems quite similar to lychee, which I love.

So, on to the taste! The chrysanthemum is definitely the dominant flavor here. I’ve had the pleasure of trying a chrysanthemum tisane before, and it has a very unique herbal-grain-hay-peppery sort of flavor that’s difficult to describe. Perhaps a hint of cooling menthol as well? I don’t get much tartness from the goji, but I definitely taste the dried longan’s syrupy sweetness. Really, it’s actually a bit too sweet for me, it’s amazing how much natural sugar the longan fruit contributed. It tastes as though I added a very mild honey.

Overall, I’m enjoying the pot as I relax this evening. It’s not something I would drink regularly, just because it is a bit too sweet for me. I do enjoy the interplay between the honeyed notes and the slightly savory chrysanthemum though. Happily I have some chrysanthemum samples from Teavivre to content myself with!

(Please note that my rating is only in regard to the taste of this tisane, I can’t comment on any potential health benefits.)

Flavors: Chrysanthemum, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grain, Hay, Herbs, Honey, Menthol, Musty, Pepper, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 15 g 16 OZ / 460 ML
gmathis

I’m glad you got some flavor out of the chrysanthemums. They just taste like lawn clippings to me ;)

Cameron B.

This is only my second time trying chrysanthemum, but to me they have such an interesting peppery taste!

tea-sipper

If only a tea could help my eyes…

Comments

gmathis

Cameron B.

tea-sipper

If only a tea could help my eyes…

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2022 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- August Sipdowns: 33
- Total 2022 Sipdowns: 130

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Companies:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: