Blueberry Matcha

Matcha Tea
Blueberry, Pastries, Seaweed, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal, Grass, Sugar, Bitter, Broccoli, Candy
High
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA
160 °F / 71 °C 2 g 9 oz / 260 ml

• “I taste only a strong blueberry flavor. I don’t notice the matcha flavor very much, really just the blueberry. I found the berries and cream matcha to be tastier and more complex, so this ended up...” Read full tasting note
  • “Davidstea recommends 5-7 matcha spoons of this one when you make it as it has a bunch of cane sugar in it too, so the matcha isn’t as strong. I did 6 spoons PLUS a spoon of matcha matsu. Yep. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Steep Information: 6g 2c Sharp Tea-Cere (gadget) Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell: hint blueberry grassy vegetal Steeped Tea Smell: vegetal Flavor: mostly vegetable with a bitter finish, blueberry...” Read full tasting note
  • “Steepster Freeze 2021 #1: 01/11/21 Since I have a large bag of this one, I decided to use up the full sampler bag from the advent for my breakfast smoothie. With the raspberry I’m fairly sure I...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

How it tastes
Sweet and fresh, with a ripe blueberry flavour and a light grassy note from the matcha

Kick your summer vibes up a notch with our sweet and revitalizing Blueberry Matcha. Bursting with freshly picked blueberries, mega-healthy matcha green tea and pure cane sugar, it’s an iced tea latte waiting to happen. The best part? This deliciously fruity blend is packed with all the energizing and metabolism-boosting benefits of matcha for an instant pick-me-up. Good vibes all around.

Cane sugar, Matcha green tea, Natural blueberry flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I taste only a strong blueberry flavor. I don’t notice the matcha flavor very much, really just the blueberry. I found the berries and cream matcha to be tastier and more complex, so this ended up being a worse version of that one. If I had tried this one first, I probably would have said that it’s great, but sadly it doesn’t quite compare.

Davidstea recommends 5-7 matcha spoons of this one when you make it as it has a bunch of cane sugar in it too, so the matcha isn’t as strong. I did 6 spoons PLUS a spoon of matcha matsu. Yep. I went with ALL the caffeine. I have been staying up way too late, and I’ve been getting up way too early, so today was the day for caffeine. I will mention too, this is my second tea of the day, the first being a Davids Breakfast blend that was steeped for 5 mins. (Give me all the strong teas!! haha)

Anyways, this tea is STRONG, but I prefer it that way. I’m having it iced, so what I do is I whisk it up with only a small amount of hot water, then pour it over ice, add a bit more tap water (that way it doesn’t melt the ice as much as the kettle water would so it doesn’t get as watery), then add some milk. I had this one once at our local store and the manager made it so weak it almost tasted like water. Bleck. So since then, I make it probably way stronger than any one person needs to drink, but I like it like that, so whatever. haha

I finished up one of my matcha tins of the matcha matsu with this one too so I’m happy about that!

Anyways, the blueberry is strong with this one. It’s a favourite of mine and until I find one that I like better, I will keep buying it.

Steep Information:
6g
2c
Sharp Tea-Cere (gadget)

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: hint blueberry grassy vegetal
Steeped Tea Smell: vegetal
Flavor: mostly vegetable with a bitter finish, blueberry not coming through
Aftertaste: bitter
Liquor: dark opaque green

Post-Steep Additives: milk
Comments: sweet matcha, less bitter, still no blueberry
I took the tea cere preparation and had it with toast and honey comb toast which solved the astringency

Steep Information:
Prepared by hand whisking 4oz 170f 2g

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: hint blueberry grassy vegetal
Steeped Tea Smell: vegetal
Flavor: Definitely get much more of the blueberry it’s still a subtle flavor though and it’s a natural blueberry followed by vegetable and no astringency
Liquor: dark opaque green

Comments:Preparation by hand really benefits this matcha

170 °F / 76 °C 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Dustin

Whoa! I haven’t seen any postings from you in ages! Welcome back!

Lexie Aleah

Agreed! Long time no see. (:

Dustin

Just in time to experience Steepster having one of it’s fun freeze ups. :/

AmazonV

@Dustin & @Lexie Aleah A lot happened, i moved to canada, life got crazy, got married, owned a tea company and was overwhelmed by it, but closed that and now want to get back into “me time” with tea and tea people. 1 false start but going to try again soon to carve out time to be back here, fingers crossed!

Dustin

Wow, that is a lot of happening!

Steepster Freeze 2021 #1: 01/11/21

Since I have a large bag of this one, I decided to use up the full sampler bag from the advent for my breakfast smoothie. With the raspberry I’m fairly sure I kept my “1tsp per 1 cup” ratio and only added the rest of the powder in when I threw in my other smoothie ingredients, but this morning I CBA with that and dumped the whole package into the cup of plain oat milk for whisking. And… it was a lot better that way! I normally never use that much powder, but it seems that is the only way to combat all the sugar and actually get some matcha, because, I think for the first time ever so far with these DAVIDsTEA matchas (which I make in milk alternatives, not water), I only ever taste sweetness and flavor and not matcha. I still got mostly that today with the blueberry (it was the kind of sweet blueberry I’d expect to find in a pastry, but a pleasant enough flavor), but I did get a subtle under-note of umami vegetitation/seaweed. Still lacked the bitterness of a straight matcha that I’ve always found so unpleasant (hense why I always make matcha as lattes/smoothies) due to the sweetness of the powder.

As far as the fruity flavors I’ve tried thus far, I think I like this one a smidge more than the strawberry, with the raspberry beneath both of those. As far as blueberry matcha goes, I do like B&B’s “Super Matcha” better, but due to its ridiculously high price, I would probably never buy that one for my stash…

Flavors: Blueberry, Pastries, Seaweed, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal

Iced 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Yeah I have that issue with DAVIDsTEA matcha too – by the time I use enough for it to taste like matcha, it’s way too sweet…

Mastress Alita

I’m thinking I may have to “cut it” with my plain culinary matcha in the future! At least for smoothie use it isn’t as big of a deal, but for plain latte drinking, I need a better balance between flavor/sweetness/matcha taste.

Cameron B.

That’s a good plan. Luckily I finished all of my advent matcha, so I don’t have any left. And I just ordered from 3 Leaf, yay!

David’s Tea Matcha Advent Day 6

I was putting this one off because I disliked the berries and cream so much due to artificial blueberry – this didn’t bode well. But honestly this wasn’t bad! Definitely got a hint of grass and sugar with a bitter aftertaste. I could drink this even if I wouldn’t buy it.

Flavors: Grass, Sugar

DavidsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar 2020 – Day 6

Backlog from yesterday – I have determined I like berry flavored matchas the best of the fruity matchas so far. This one sure smelled amazing when whisking – very fresh blueberry scent! I liked this one as it was not too sweet, and you could get the matcha flavor in it too. Will easily finish off this sample!

DAVIDsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 6

Yay, we’re back to actual matcha instead of treats! Not that I didn’t like the matcha white chocolate, but I admit to being a bit disappointed when I pulled it out of the little drawer yesterday morning… At least it gave me a chance to sip down one of my other lingering matcha samples! :P

Anyway! Prepared this with 12 ounces of water, then topped with 4 ounces of milk. DAVIDsTEA recommends waaaaay more milk, but I can’t imagine being able to taste the matcha that way since it’s already quite mild. I did taste this before I added the milk and it was pleasant enough (and not as sweet and the peach, whew), but I just really felt like having a nice blueberry muffin-esque beverage so I went ahead and made it creamy!

This is very yummy though. I can still taste the matcha and it has a nice grassy flavor with vegetal notes and I still get a hint of umami as well. The milk makes it taste like green tea Pocky, and I’m not complaining! There is a tinge of bitterness at the end of the sip as I would expect. The blueberry here is quite tasty, and I’m not sure I’d say it’s entirely authentic-tasting, but it’s a good balance of the fresh fruit with a slight candylike intensity that makes it pop a bit more. It’s sweet, but not over-the-top. The sweetness works well for this preparation, but I’m not sure I enjoy it when preparing these matchas plain. I’ll certainly try that preparation several more times over the course of the calendar, but today’s flavor just screamed “latte” to me! Or in my case, sort-of latte… ;)

Today’s Bonne Maman advent jam is Sweet Orange-Passion Fruit Spread. I’m not normally a big fan of marmalade, as I find it a bit too bitter from the peel, even though I generally enjoy orange. This mostly tastes like marmalade, with a bit of passion fruit as a top note. So it’s not a favorite for me, though I’m sure someone who enjoys marmalade would like this very much!

I love tasting the matcha after the jam, as it makes it taste less sweet and then I like it even more! ;)

(today’s advent teas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIdqxdfAjbO/)

Flavors: Bitter, Blueberry, Broccoli, Candy, Grass, Seaweed, Sugar, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
tea-sipper

That mug! :D

Long ago I swore to stop buying matchas from DAVIDsTEA, but I inherited this bag from my late aunt. I prepared a cup to drink hot and found it much too sweet the first time. Now I only add this to vanilla ice cream or yogurt to make a milkshake or smoothie.

Flavors: Blueberry, Sugar

DAVIDsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 11

This is for the matcha white chocolate star that was in the advent today. The flavor was not as prominent as the salted caramel white chocolate star was. It was mostly just sort of fruity. Also, the matcha makes these a bit gritty, which I attributed to the salt last time but it happened here as well. Both were similar in taste too which means the white chocolate is contributing a fair bit of flavor and because of that I am sort of indifferent to the stars I have had so far.

mrs.stenhouse12

I can’t tell the flavor unless I cheat and read other people’s notes haha. Wish they were labeled!

Mastress Alita

I opened the whole advent at once and just gutted all the stuff back in November, and ate all the chocolates one night before bed, and didn’t even know they were flavored, so shows how much I know!

VariaTEA

The salted caramel one was a little more prominent I think but mostly they tasted like white chocolate.

Cameron B.

Agree, these are boring IMO. Even just more matcha flavor in general would be nice.

Mastress Alita

Ya, my vague memory doesn’t even recall them really tasting like matcha, let alone flavored matcha. When I think of “matcha chocolates” my brain goes to the stuff in the candy isle of a Japanese grocery, like my beloved Green Tea Kit-Kats. But it wasn’t really like that.

Sipdown! 64/365

Ended up finishing off this one today. It was just as good as yesterday’s mug. I’m probably doomed to pick up matcha samples at DavidsTea now when I go there, assuming the flavour sounds interesting. Not that I don’t still have some Red Leaf matcha left that I should really use up.