drank Nine Lotus by Mandala Tea

Nothing like the therapeutic soak of Chinese green tea leaves in a bowl of hot water.

Soothing, creamy much like soymilk with a forward sweetness balanced by fine grass astringency, fine sorrel acidity, fine wet granite minerality.  Hints of buffalo grass and leafy herbs.

The leaves float.  Good news is they’re edible.

I will be sure to order Nine Lotus from Mandala with my next order to bathe longer in these leaves’ calm.  Thank you yet again, Kawaii :)

Flavors: Buffalo Grass, Creamy, Grass, Herbs, Mineral, Soybean, Sweet, Tangy, Wet Rocks

mrmopar

So you can have your tea and eat it too.

Kawaii433

I like some of my edible tea leaves with soy sauce and lemon hehe

derk

Indeed, mrmopar :)

Kawaii, I tried a dash of soy sauce with my last bag of gyokuro and enjoyed it!

Comments

mrmopar

So you can have your tea and eat it too.

Kawaii433

I like some of my edible tea leaves with soy sauce and lemon hehe

derk

Indeed, mrmopar :)

Kawaii, I tried a dash of soy sauce with my last bag of gyokuro and enjoyed it!

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA