April 28th, 2021 harvest, grown without pesticides

Second time this has happened in the middle of typing a glowing review of this tea — backspaced myself out of the pop-up window and lost it all.

In my frustration, I feel like I need some closure so I’m posting a little bit for now:

What a gorgeous Japanese black tea! It blows away all past encounters with Japanese blacks, all of which deeply offended my stomach. This leaf is so clean and pure.

I’ll come back with a full review later after typing it up in another platform :P

Flavors: Camphor, Caramel, Cinnamon, Floral, Geranium, Ginger, Mineral, Orange, Orange Zest, Pine, Rose, Spicy, Squash, Tangy, Vanilla, Wood

Martin Bednář

Won’t lie, Japanese blacks seens to be often pure gems. But so hard to get.

Courtney

I haven’t ever tried a Japanese black — now I must add to the wishlist!

Leafhopper

LOL, I picked the other two Iwata black teas on that site. Let me know what you’re thinking of ordering.

Comments

Martin Bednář

Won’t lie, Japanese blacks seens to be often pure gems. But so hard to get.

Courtney

I haven’t ever tried a Japanese black — now I must add to the wishlist!

Leafhopper

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA