drank Mate Lemon by Numi Organic Tea

Pretty strong lemon myrtle taste. I often find yerba maté to be an unappealing flavor but here the unfavorable earthy, alkaloid-y notes were well masked. There’s green tea in this blend too but I’m not sure what its role is.

While drinking this, I enjoyed it but an hour later I’m finding myself on edge and annoyed with family talking which normally doesn’t bother me. This is an effect yerba maté has on me, whether due to the amount of caffeine and/or other chemicals I’m not sure. Nervous, aggressive energy that makes me want to wrestle and throw shit.

derk grumbles.

I’ve drunk yerba maté before powerlifting, felling trees and bike riding but no amount of physical activity ever seems to take off the edge.

+70 taste
-40 yerba maté induced annoyance and nervous energy

(Lotta buts here, too.)

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
lizwykys

haha! The Wrestle And Throw Shit blend! <3 derk.

Mastress Alita

Does guayusa do the same thing, since it is a close cousin of mate?

It’s probably just a combination of mate’s caffeine, theobromine and theophylline and how your system reacts to that. I don’t seem to have that issue, thankfully. I don’t like it plain, but do like it in the right blends. I definitely like it roasted more than plain, and find the taste of guayusa better than mate.

derk

lizwykys: I tried to throw down my aunt but she got scurred and said go find my cousin. She likes to wrestle, too, and it would be an epic battle because we’re both strong af.

Mastress Alita: I’ve never had guayusa. Maybe when you drink down we can do another little trade. I really like Guayakí Yerba Maté in those tall cans because they’re well flavored but not obnoxiously sweet. I resort to them as people do with Red Bulls etc, but rarely because of the effect. Traditionally prepared yerba maté in a gourd would probably turn my stomach.

Mastress Alita

@derk: As I recall, you like hibi. I have a blend of guayusa, hibiscus, lemongrass, and stevia that makes the best iced tea in the world. Cold brew in either water or lemonade for caffeinated fruit punch goodness. I’ll just send you some sometime if you want to try it. You won’t really taste the guayusa though, it tastes like hibi punch. But you would probably know if it wants to make you punch a baby.

tea-sipper

Look at these comedic comments.

derk

Mastress Alita: Thanks for the offer. I do enjoy hibiscus. I’ll hit you up after I move and forward you my new address.

Comments

lizwykys

haha! The Wrestle And Throw Shit blend! <3 derk.

Mastress Alita

Does guayusa do the same thing, since it is a close cousin of mate?

tea-sipper

Look at these comedic comments.

derk

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

Sonoma County, California, USA