A name has never been so appropriate for a tea, one that transports me through environments and time. Ancient Spirit hits all the right notes and feels. Complex (see the other reviews!), substantial yet light, stimulating yet grounding. Performs well gongfu, western and grandpa and oversteeping is not disastrous. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner if you don’t mind staying up past your bedtime.

I’ve had two harvests of this so far. The one I’m currently sipping on is 2017. I so, so hope Brenden continues to carry Ancient Spirit!

200 °F / 93 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
annie

how dare you. I miss this tea so much.

Who me???

annie

hahahaha, it’s been out of stock for a million years!! thanks for the reminder of how wonderful this tea is :(

derk

It really is great. Was this year’s harvest offered?

Mastress Alita

I see great reviews for Whispering Pines all the time, but any time I go to their website, their teas seem to always be sold out. In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen them in stock. I’ve only ever tried their teas through cupboard sales/trades/teaboxes. Are they like this Black Friday ordeal that gets tea once a year and it sales out in one flash weekend, never to be seen again until the next legendary harvest?

derk

A lot of the blended teas, yeah, but not extreme like a weekend sell-out. He typically list the majority of plain teas in the spring, followed by blends and some other teas in the fall. This year had a different cadence to the tea releases. You can sign up for the mailing list at the bottom of the main page.

Comments

annie

how dare you. I miss this tea so much.

Who me???

derk

It really is great. Was this year’s harvest offered?

Mastress Alita

derk

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA