2020 Yabukita Wakocha, 'Japanese Darjeeling'

Black Tea Leaves
Chili, Citrus, Earth, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Passion Fruit, Raisins, Spices, Tannic, Wood, Fruity, Round, Smooth, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “I’ve been trying to limit my caffeine intake due to a persistent bout of insomnia, but it’s Christmas Eve and I decided to celebrate with this special tea. I steeped 3.5 g of leaf in a 355 ml mug...” Read full tasting note
  • “If I hadn’t known this was a first flush Japanese black tea, I’d call it a second or an autumn flush Darjeeling. It’s very aromatic. The dry leaf smells so much like a Darjeeling even down to the...” Read full tasting note

From Liquid Proust Teas

May 2020 production of a first flush black tea that’s similar to Darjeeling. This is a treat :)

About Liquid Proust Teas View company

I’ve been trying to limit my caffeine intake due to a persistent bout of insomnia, but it’s Christmas Eve and I decided to celebrate with this special tea. I steeped 3.5 g of leaf in a 355 ml mug using 195F water for 3.5, 5, and 7 minutes.

As Derk mentioned, the aroma of the dry leaves is very like that of a Darjeeling, with notes of honey, grain, citrus, muscatel, and flowers. The first steep has notes of passion fruit (which I probably couldn’t have named without Derk’s review), citrus, muscatel, raisins, honey, orange blossom and other flowers, malt, chilli leaf, tannins, and wood. The tea’s woody, slightly spicy, and floral profile persists into the second steep, though the passion fruit isn’t as noticeable and there are more raisin/muscatel notes. The third steep has notes of malt, tannins, raisins, earth, and wood.

This is my first Japanese black tea, and although I’d read that they can be abrasive, this was nothing of the sort. Thanks to Derk for sending me a sample of this tea. I’ll be exploring more Japanese Wakocha in the future.

Flavors: Chili, Citrus, Earth, Floral, Grain, Honey, Malt, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Passion Fruit, Raisins, Spices, Tannic, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 30 sec 4 g 12 OZ / 355 ML
derk

Not that you’re asking for a recommendation, but Thés du Japon has a large selection of Japanese black teas. So far, all but one of the teas I’ve tried from them has been very enjoyable.

Leafhopper

What is their shipping like? I don’t drink a lot of Japanese green teas, so most Japanese vendors fly under my radar.

derk

Almost $30 USD for 400g of tea. $$$ but it’s fast and won’t be lost for months.

Leafhopper

Oof! Shipping from Japan does tend to be expensive. Maybe someday…

Evol Ving Ness

Alistair at What-Cha often has Japanese black teas too.

Leafhopper

Evol Ving Ness, I remember seeing one on What-Cha, but it isn’t there anymore. Maybe it’ll come back next year.

TheTea also has a Wakocha, which is described as having fruity notes. Camellia Sinensis had a couple Japanese black teas the last time I looked.

It’s very aromatic. The dry leaf smells so much like a Darjeeling even down to the musky, green chillies/leaf, desert earth/incense descriptions I tend to give to those teas. Very floral in the nose and mouth. Lots of smooth and rich grain-malt and muscatel (plus some other fruitiness I can at best guess say is passionfruit) in the first two thirds of the sip, then in the back of the mouth it flattens out. I had Keak da Kook take a few sips this morning. She said when she swallowed it was like toilet water in the back. Ok, Keak. Other than that she enjoyed the flavors and aroma and so did I.

Thanks for sending my way White Antlers! I think I shipped some off to Leafhopper. If so, I’d love to see that tasting note :)

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Muscatel, Passion Fruit, Round, Smooth, Spicy

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
White Antlers

You’re welcome. Looking forward to leafhopper’s note, too.

Leafhopper

Derk, you did send some to me, and I’ve been searching for the optimal steeping parameters. After using 4 g of that Laos black tea in 355 ml of water, I was worried what such treatment would do to this tea. Maybe I’ll use 3.5 g and see what happens. :)