Black Food Blend
Caramel, Artificial, Black Pepper, Burnt Sugar, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Coconut, Coffee, Forest Floor, Irish Cream, Leather, Mineral, Scotch, Smoke, Tannin, Tea, Tobacco, Wet Wood, Malt, Tannic, Alcohol, Cocoa, Vanilla, Whiskey, Sweet, Bitter, Burnt, Butter, Astringent, Wood, Brown Sugar, Ash, Campfire, Honey
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “2022 Spring Tea Swap – Day 7 From Emilie! I was a bit distracted while drinking this one, but I know that I really liked it. There was a deep caramel note that was so delicious. I’ll do better with...” Read full tasting note
  • “I can definitely taste the lapsang in this blend. It’s not overly smoky at all, but since smoke isn’t a flavor I love, it’s still a little much for me here. I totally get creamy desserty flavors as...” Read full tasting note
  • “I just found my pile of August samples and remembered I’d only tried about half of them. When I was tasting them before they were all seeming really acidic to me and it just wasn’t doing it for me....” Read full tasting note
  • “After taking the first sip, I realize this tea will wreck even the most fortified of stomachs. So, milk. Sweet butterscotch aroma that barely creeps into the taste which is so often the case for...” Read full tasting note

From August Uncommon Tea

Strong black tea with bourbon and burnt sugar notes

This tea has the ostentatious warmth of a Southern drawl. It’s got robust body and character to match. In the first sip, the chewiness of burnt sugar mingles with the dark, rich flavor of buttery buckwheat hotcakes and finally, a latent chicory note. A drop of milk adds a whisper of bourbon. This is a fantastic morning tea to rival an English breakfast. Its potent charm ambles all the livelong day.

Recommended for coffee lovers and whisky drinkers.

INGREDIENTS: black tea, taiwanese lapsang souchong black tea, barley malt, flavoring

CONTAINS GLUTEN FROM BARLEY MALT

TASTES LIKE: burnt sugar, buckwheat, chicory, bourbon
FEELS LIKE: the forward familiarity of the south

VEGANNON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

2022 Spring Tea Swap – Day 7
From Emilie!

I was a bit distracted while drinking this one, but I know that I really liked it. There was a deep caramel note that was so delicious. I’ll do better with my next note!

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I can definitely taste the lapsang in this blend. It’s not overly smoky at all, but since smoke isn’t a flavor I love, it’s still a little much for me here. I totally get creamy desserty flavors as well. It tastes more mellow and smooth after it’s cooled. I enjoyed my cup of this, but I don’t know that I’d reach for it again.

I just found my pile of August samples and remembered I’d only tried about half of them. When I was tasting them before they were all seeming really acidic to me and it just wasn’t doing it for me. I’m not sure if it was me or something in the flavorings they use. I was in the mood for a black tea that could handle added cream today and contemplated both Low Country and Golden Arrow. Low Country won the sniff test of the dry leaf.

I think I followed the steeping instructions on the package for the other August teas so I went with that on this one too. Package recommendations were 3.5g or about 1Tbsp of leaf for 10oz boiling water, 4-5min steep. I used one scoop of my handy August clear plastic scoop (I think it’s 1Tbsp?) and 4 minutes (I actually set a timer this time!), will probably bump it up to 5 minutes if I decide to do a second steep. Glass tea mug with glass infuser…love this thing because it doesn’t give any weird metallic flavors like some metal infusers and it doesn’t absorb flavors/smells.

The dry tea smells really sweet and caramely, a bit boozy. A little smoke but it doesn’t punch you in the face like Golden Arrow. The steeped tea doesn’t smell nearly as sweet as it did dry…it smells more boozy and smoky. Before adding cream, I can taste smoke but it isn’t super crazy strong. I don’t really get the caramel that I could smell in the dry tea. The bourbony booziness I could smell is in the flavor but it has a weird artificial bite to me. This tea doesn’t do as well with cream as I hoped. Or maybe it needs more leaf to be strong enough to hold up to the cream. With the cream I’m mostly just getting that artificial bite and an aftertaste of smoke. It’s a bit disappointing because the dry tea smelled really good. I guess what I wanted was a strong black tea with cream plus the flavor of awesome homemade butter caramels and this just isn’t it. It’s drinkable, it’s just not what I had in mind for my tea today.

Sweet butterscotch aroma that barely creeps into the taste which is so often the case for flavored teas. The taste is like drinking a fresh, peppery cigar with a strong black tea note. And then there’s the leather, the taste of which feels like a lead blanket draped over the body. It’s more than just wearing a leather jacket. Piled in steer hides. Lightly smoky whisky and burnt sugar remain on the palate. This tea is heavy and earthy, sultry and rich. Wet backwoods, tobacco plantations, rolling hills, tack rooms.

Flavors: Artificial, Black Pepper, Burnt Sugar, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Coconut, Coffee, Forest Floor, Irish Cream, Leather, Mineral, Scotch, Smoke, Tannin, Tea, Tobacco, Wet Wood

derk

Boiled on the stove for several minutes, then simmered with milk, it tastes just like a cappuccino. Definite coffee taste to this deal.

gmathis

Ride ’em cowboy! Sounds delicious.

Sipdown!

Low Country is the one blend I repurchased when I ordered from August a second time. I dig the malty-sugary scent, although I’m glad the steeped cup has more bitter notes to cut through the sweetness. I don’t get much smoke, interestingly, and I’m not sure I’d pinpoint the flavor inspiration as bourbon if the label didn’t tell me to do so. In general, though, it’s a solid breakfast brew.

Unfortunately, I think I’ve ruined this tea for myself by drinking an over-steeped and too-strong cup while feeling sick after getting my covid booster. Now the smell (and thought!) of Low Country makes me faintly nauseated. Good thing I finished the packet this morning. So long, Low Country, and thanks for all the sips.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Malt, Tannic

I find this one to be pretty similar to Golden Arrow from the same company, except it’s less smokey caramel and more sweet spirits. Unlike GA, It has a thinner but flavourful mouthful that takes me right to the downtown distillery! Vanilla, cocoa and malt, with hints of burnt sugar and smoke. It doesn’t burn the throat going down like bourbon does, but it’s close!

It’s a pretty accurate rendition of a alcoholic drink, and also brings to mind O’Connor’s Cream from TeaGschwendner (that one’s way bolder though).

Taken with both dairy milk and oat milk on different occasions. That may be what turns this bourbon into an Irish Cream sibling.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Alcohol, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Malt, Smoke, Vanilla, Whiskey

ashmanra

White Antlers sent me O’Connor’s Cream and it is a definite repurchase. I was happy to find out I can get it at Tin Roof Teas in Raleigh where we love to take a day trip shopping anyway.

gmathis

This sounds similar to the Irish Whiskey variety from TeaMaze that I really like.

CrowKettle

O’Connnor’s Cream is pretty rich and unique; I wish their teas were easier to get a hold of where I am!

This one is more a pale memory of it. Subtle notes of Bourbon, vanilla, and cocoa isn’t the same as full-throttle Irish Cream Whiskey.

CrowKettle

I’ll have to check into TeaMaze! I seem to like boozy teas, although the thing that wins me over here is probably that it’s a vanilla black I can take with milk (that time of the year again).

gmathis

It’s still too warm in Missouri for tea with milk, but we’re seeing glimmers of seasonal change! I leave for work just pre-sunrise now, so got to gawk at a trio of deer who came down to the creek for breakfast.

CrowKettle

That’s a lovely scene and a wonderful way to meet the dawn! Are there lots of deer around where you are?

We had a lot of rain today. You could’ve missed the skyscrapers and mountain peaks for all the low clouds and precipitation. ‘Raincouver’ has reverted to its original state.

gmathis

We’re in a little burg of a suburb with lots of brush and farm pastureland, and if you pretend, you can almost ignore the noise from the interstate about a half mile away :) Pretty healthy deer population, the usual possums and armadillos, but sometimes you get bonus critters: wild turkeys, cranes (on the creek), and my husband recently spotted a bald eagle. About 40 miles north, in northern Barton and Dade County, eagles are pretty common.

This is an interesting tea, certainly different from most of what I’ve tried.

For once, I’m relieved the scent doesn’t come through as much in the flavor. The scent is overwhelmingly sweet – a little bit of something bitter, but a lot of butterscotch candy vibes.

The taste continues to fascinate me. I definitely got the smokiness and something bitter, and the sweet was a nice edge to the flavor. It felt almost rich, especially when steeped a longer time. The tea reminded my partner (not a tea drinker, fwiw) of a pipe tobacco.

I don’t know if I’d buy it, but I’d be excited to drink it again.

Flavors: Smoke, Sweet

Boiling

I’m trying to finish off my open samples from AU so that I can open some of the other samples from them. I Tried brewing this one at a lower temperature and still don’t love it. I Don’t need to repurchase this one as I prefer AU’s Golden Arrow and H&H Black Cask Bourbon tea.

Thank you, Cameron B, for sending me this sample!

A few things about this tea really stand out. One is the strong smell when steeping – as I was scooping the leaves in, I got a whiff of what I think of as butter, and the smell and taste match it to me. I know it’s supposed to be caramel, but to me this is a buttery type tea, and it reminds me a little of the taste of the Butterbeer in Universal Studios in the Harry Potter theme Park section. The tea has a nice and silky texture – I’m a bit smoke fan, but not picking up on that part much. I have another cup to try and will update if the smokiness comes through more my second cup – may try steeping it a bit longer to steep.

One thing is for sure, this one is different and I like different sometimes. It’s a unique tasting tea that’s not overpowering. I can see how I couldn’t sip too many of these cups in a row due to the caramel and almost buttery profile and my sensitive stomach, but I like it for one cup at a time.

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Smoke

Sipdown! (61)

This one just doesn’t work for me.

To be fair, I don’t always love lapsang in blends. And that’s the case with this one. I can imagine smoke and caramel working well together, but it just doesn’t happen for me here. And I think it’s because the caramel flavor here is somewhat buttery? And that note doesn’t really meld well with the smoke, so it ends up just tasting like artificial butterscotch layered on top of the base. The base is also fairly bland aside from the smoke, and has a bit of astringency to it.

A resounding meh. But it does smell nice!

Flavors: Artificial, Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Butterscotch, Caramel, Mineral, Smoke, Sweet, Tannic, Wood

ashmanra

Sounds super interesting but I do like lapsang and I happen to live near the Low Country and my husband’s family is from the SC Low Country. But Low County makes me think of boiled peanuts and Low Country boil.

Cameron B.

I like it in some things, I just wasn’t a fan of it with the added flavoring. But it looks like everyone else liked it, so I’m in the minority! :P

gmathis

Low Country boil? That’s a new one on me..

Lupiressmoon

It looks like my comment on the phone never went through last night. I got your sample of this and tried this last night – thank you so much! I liked it but agree it’s definitely different. Sorry it was not to your taste.

Cameron B.

You can’t love them all! And a good thing too, wherever would I put them if I did?!