September 2019 harvest

The tea is so smooth. Too smooth for me, too smooth for western brews. But it’s strong! The profile and caffeine remind me of some Assam or Japanese black tea profiles. Dried cherries, tobacco and cherrywood are the most prominent flavors and they feel like they were sitting out in frosty evergreen forest air. It’s a cooling tea despite the warm flavor profile.

Check out the old note because I feel like so much of what I have to say is redundant. https://steepster.com/derk/posts/391280

Strange how I fell hard for a June 2018 harvest but this one has left me feeling ambivalent enough that I used most of it to make weekly pitchers of cold-brew for Kiki (which she loved and I never tasted). Looking at the wet leaf, I think this is more highly oxidized such that it presents as simpler and more straightforward.

93 for June 2018 harvest, 72 for September 2019, average 83

Flavors: Bitter, Butter, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Chocolate, Coconut, Dried Fruit, Evergreen, Fruity, Honey, Lemon, Lychee, Molasses, Orange, Prune, Raisins, Rosehips, Smooth, Tangy, Tannin, Tart, Tobacco

Evol Ving Ness

Wow. Funny how the harvest varies—greatly, in this case.

Leafhopper

I’m foggy about which years my two harvests of this tea were from, but I liked my previous sample more than the 50 g bag I bought during our big Black Friday purchase last year. I have a feeling that batch was from 2019, not 2020, though I could be wrong.

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

Wow. Funny how the harvest varies—greatly, in this case.

Leafhopper

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA