Dropping this here. The handwriting of a special tea friend is difficult to read ;-P I thought the label said ‘2003 Mengku 7542’ but Steepster came up empty. With some knowledge of who this came from and a quick internet search, I’m almost positive it’s ‘2003 Menghai 7542.’ If my assumption is incorrect let me know. Somehow I’ve managed to drink through a whole bag of this pu without logging it. Sipdown it is.

Red-orange-gold-hay tea, not muddy dark. The lightness of the body took several steeps for me to register. Very clean taste with subtleties that lie beyond the smokey fireplace and a dry peaty, woody bitterness that leaves my tongue tingling. The feeling is almost effervescent in its prickliness, like tiny pop-pop-pops. The tangy/acidic fruity tone of this tea reminds me of currant jam and cooked cranberries. Very light baked bread, rocky crag and clean storage flavors. The camphor hints at its cooling presence in the back of the mouth before making its strength known in that lovely warming/cooling sensation I love in my ears. Each inhale cools my whole mouth and I’m left with that dry smoke and bitterness. Lacks pronounced cha qi but makes up for it in its aged profile.

I get it. This tea is nice. I would guess more years of storage will smooth out the acidity and tannic drying quality. Gonna need some water after this, though.

Song pairing: Sierra Ferrell — In Dreams

Flavors: Biting, Bitter, Black Currant, Bread, Camphor, Cranberry, Drying, Fireplace, Peat, Tangy, Tannic, Wet Rocks, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 6 OZ / 190 ML

Hmm. I was 8 years old…
It sounds like a nice tea.

mrmopar

You’re a youngster Martin!

Indeed I am :)

Lol, I was 8 or 9 too (:

38 when this was made! ;P

gmathis

Mrmopar, you and I probably have socks (or other wardrobe essentials) that are older than these young pups ;)

ashmanra

I have two shirts I bought in 1985 that I still wear, and a sweatshirt of my husband’s from about the same time….

derk

You’re the same age as my brother, Martin. 2003 was a wild year for me. That was a little after I first started drinking tea — homemade Lipton iced tea because I had cotton mouth so bad from all the marijuanas. Glad those days are behind me, haha.

derk

Finishing up the pot tonight, I noticed a pronounced wintergreen aroma to the leaves still damp from last night’s session.

derk

mrmopar, do you know where I can find more of this? I imagine it’s out of my price range but I wouldn’t mind window shopping.

Nattie

Haha! I’m jealous @ashmanra, I am in LOVE with all things 80s (and 70s) and would have loved to have been around to witness them. The music, fashion, films… the hair! Ugh. Amazing. I have a couple of clothing pieces from the 80s I managed to convince my mam to let me have before she sent them off to the charity shop and I wear them all the time (:

@derk what an introduction to tea! XD

I wish we had a thumbs up button for comments

mrmopar

derk, to be honest these things are pretty pricey. I think I could find one somewhere. Did you have a budget range? I think LP and I got the last cakes from where he got his from.

And gmathis probably so on the clothing. They may not fit as well as they did back then.

derk

mrmopar, don’t worry about it, but thanks for the offer.

I’m still thinking about this tea 5 days later. It was very slow to open up, almost cranky, but worth having a long sit-down with.

derk

I was rummaging through a crock today that my hand hasn’t dipped into for a long time and found a different bag of this. Big smile.

Natethesnake

I read that 2004 was the year that Menghai cut the quality of 7542. I’ve had a few later pressings and wasn’t impressed. I’ve had a few samples from the late 90s that were great but not worth the price. Teas We Like has a few Menghai cakes from that period that are reasonable but I haven’t tried them. Their 2001 naked Yiwu is a bargain,

Comments

Martin Bednář

Hmm. I was 8 years old…
It sounds like a nice tea.

mrmopar

You’re a youngster Martin!

Indeed I am :)

Lol, I was 8 or 9 too (:

38 when this was made! ;P

gmathis

ashmanra

@derk what an introduction to tea! XD

I wish we had a thumbs up button for comments

derk

mrmopar, don’t worry about it, but thanks for the offer.

Natethesnake

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA