It’s nearing what would be my Yia-yia’s 93rd birthday, so I’ve been thinking about her and decided to have a Greek saffron tisane before bed tonight. In the process of convincing my aunt to let me have her last bag of this rose and pineapple saffron tea, she told me the town of Kozani (where the saffron is grown) is located near my Yia-yia’s village. Exploring more when I got home, Google Maps told me that Kozani is a mere 70km (or 1h drive time for Americans) from there. It’s a pleasure to have a sense of place and family while drinking this.

The bag smells of mostly saffron with hints of apple and hibiscus. Steeping the tea, it comes to life, a pleasant saffron red with a tinge of that hibiscus magenta. The aroma wafting from the mug exhibits a wonderful balance of the ingredients.

Despite this being touted as rose and pineapple, I find that the rose is only a light complement to the fruity flavors present. The pineapple is more of an unripe green pineapple taste like that of a feijoa, also known as a pineapple guava. The hibiscus adds a delicate tartness, not dominating the flavor by any means, and the licorice an almost imperceptible sweetness. Saffron offers what I think is a savory quality. The other ingredients, like apple, rosehips and orange peel seem to aid in the balance. The orange peel does leave an oily sheen on the liquor but I don’t notice any slickness in the mouth.

Overall, the body is light and easy to sip. Combined with the fruity and lightly floral quality, this is a really pleasant drink and I think one that could possibly win the hearts of hibiscus and licorice haters. I imagine this would be amazing iced. This tea is not only available in Greece but also on Amazon for a hefty price, so I will have to wait until my family’s travels to Greece next summer to acquire some more. I would be happy to send some out to fellow Steepsters if I can manage to get a good quantity.

Σ ’αγαπώ πάρα πολύ. καληνυχτα κούκλα μου.

195 °F / 90 °C 6 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Mastress Alita

This sounds delicious.

lizwykys

Oh! I’ve had Krocus Kozanis tea before! I found it in my local (Greek) supermarket some time ago, and had forgotten because I haven’t seen it lately. I need to track it down again, and I definitely want to try this flavor! (I also used to live about an hour and a half from Kozani, though I haven’t visited there.) If I find it, I can see if it’s possible to mail you some to tide you over!

derk

That’s very kind of you to offer. If you come across the brand again, let me know how much a box costs and maybe we can figure out how much shipping would be. I would be happy to mail you something in return from the states that you’re craving.

Sounds lovely! :)

Comments

Mastress Alita

This sounds delicious.

derk

Sounds lovely! :)

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA