2/7/14 I’m experimenting with several different things with this tisane, so this tasting note is just the beginning. My sample arrived basically powdered, which made figuring out how to use it difficult, because all the references I’ve found tell me to use a number of flowers. I picked out the six largest remaining fragments, and put those into my rice cooker to make blue rice with – that’s still cooking.
I weighed the remaining powder – it came to five grams on my little scale, which I am guess is about 10-20 flowers. I put it all into a paper filter bag, and put it in my four cup measuring cup, and brewed it with boiling water for 3 minutes. It is a rich opaque dark blue liquid, with a light beany aroma and taste. I’m sipping a cup hot now, and have put the rest in the fridge to try iced. I’ll also experiment with adding some mandarin juice to it — it’s supposed to turn purple when an acid is added! Lime would be traditional, but I only have mandarins in the house.
I’ll also try a second steeping of my bag, and see how that brews.
So far, a fun and pleasant drink.