Hojicha Dark Roast

Green Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Toasted, Wood, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Smoke, Smooth, Nuts, Nutty, Toasty, Baked Bread, Cherry, Coffee, Cedar, Honey
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Hojicha Dark Roast has a deep, smoky and slightly sweeter flavour with notes of vanilla and warm charcoal. As a dark roast, it is almost entirely caffeine-free and perfect for drinking at any time of the day or night.

Taste: Sweet
Body: Light
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Steamed, Rolled, Dried, Roasted

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

It started with a single cup of tea. As the legend goes, our president Akihiro Kita, or Akky-san, visited Wazuka, Kyoto one fateful day. At the time, Akky-san was still a college student in search for life's calling. After trying the region's famous Ujicha (literally meaning tea from the Uji district), he immediately fell in love and his passion for green tea was born. He had finally found what he was looking for in that one simple cup of tea. After fifteen years of learning to master the art of growing tea from tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms was born and as they say, the rest is history. So what's an Obubu? Obubu is the Kyoto slang for tea. Here in the international department we call ourselves Obubu Tea. That's "Tea Tea" for the bilinguals. We love tea so much, we just had to have it twice in our name. Now Obubu means more than just tea to us. It means, family, friends, passion and the place we call home. More than just tea. Though the roots of Obubu stem from tea, it has become more than that over the years. Obubu is an agricultural social venture, operating with three (1) bring quality Japanese tea to the world (2) contribute to the local and global community through tea (3) revitalize interest in tea and agriculture through education.

This is deliciously roasty. I love the buttery-caramel taste to it. Silky yet rustic.

One of the best Houjicha teas I’ve come across yet.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Darn just ordered the regular roast and was contemplated the dark. Ahh, well next time.

LiberTEAS

I haven’t tried the regular roast… but I look forward to hearing about it from you. I really like the dark roast though!

LENA

Mmmm, I’m a fan of pretty much anything dark roasted.

Whereas the loose leaf is DARK the infused tea is not. It sort of smells like roasted nuts with a musky smell of mushrooms hiding underneath. The taste is quite good tho! Probably one of my favorite Houjicha’s to date!

Peggie Bennett

The name of the company is just too cute, “Oh boo boo”! haha!

I drank this Dark roast along side the Light roast version.

This tea is rich, earthy and smokey. The smokey is quite different than other smokey teas (ie campfire smokey) but more of a roasted nut smokey. The 2nd steeping was Amazing! Deep, chocolately notes – like a smore without the marshmallow. This one is not as sweet as the light roast, but pretty good. It almost similar to a black tea but is sweeter and not as thick in flavor.
I’d be tempted to purchase more, but I think I need to get my claws on the “Smokey” version first to compare.

For steeping, I followed Yunomis’ standard steeping instructions http://yunomi.us/713/standard-steeping-technique/

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/houjicha-from-obubu-tea-via-yunomi-us-mystery-tea-samplers-club/

The wet leaf smelled incredible — strong notes of chocolate, with cherries and cigar smoke also in the aroma.
The taste, while nicely sweet, lacked depth (for me at least) and didn’t have all the flavors or aromas the wet leaf seemed to promise, so that was a bit disappointing.
I do like it, and it is slightly difference from regular houjicha, so I’d almost be tempted to seek it out. But the sample wasn’t quite convincing enough to put it on a list for when I’m looking to get houjicha.

It’s somewhat impressive that Obubu puts out 4 different kinds of houjicha. I wonder how difficult it is to have consistency of roast — what’s the difference in the roasting process between light, basic, and dark? Seems it could be quite difficult to do it consistently.

I was not expecting to like it. I read in the reviews the word “smoky” and mentally wrote this tea off. Wow, this tea makes me rethink houjichas! Deep, robust, very chocolately. So dark and yum. It’s a sweet kind of smoky likeness. I’m going to try the latte recipe on Obubu’s website. That sounds pretty delightful with heat of the summer day.

Grabbed a little sample from the tea box. I’ve enjoyed flavored hojicha in the past, and I think one plain one, but that must have been a lighter roast. To me, dark roast sort of just tastes burnt? Like vegetables that have been left on the grill too long. Really charred. If it had some other flavors in there, maybe I could enjoy it, but plain, it doesn’t work for me.

So after accidentally failing to make the last hojicha into a milk tea (lol), I steeped this one up instead. I figured the darker roast would give a stronger toasty flavor and stand up better to the milk anyway.

But wow, it’s really roasty! Delicious though, the milk really smooths out the rougher edges nicely. I added brown sugar syrup to this one, as I thought it would go nicely with the darker roast, and I think it was a good choice.

I’ve never had a hojicha latte, but this is fairly similar and I really like it! I really need to mix up my 3 Leaf Banana Hojicha powder one of these days…

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Toasted, Wood

Iced 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
Mastress Alita

I love making houjicha lattes! Especially with a dash of maple syrup.

Cameron B.

Yum, that sounds delicious.

Kittenna

I literally started salivating at the thought of a dark roast hojicha as milk tea! Yummmmm.

LuckyMe

Big fan of Hojicha lattes here as well. Sometimes hojicha that isn’t great on its own is transformed with a little milk and sugar.

Mastress Alita

Exactly, LuckyMe. Sometimes I run into a houjicha that comes out overly “dusty” or more “barky/wood chip” like than that nice, rounded wood note, and then I tend to over leaf those and add milk and a touch of maple syrup as sweetener. Great way to use up otherwise lacklaster houjicha.

One of my other press samples. It came with an origami crane. :)

Happy Summer. Though I made my first iced tea today, I have still been having it hot. This has a nutty/ roast scent, with some sweetness. The flavour is kinda caramel nut, with a rich roast almost coffee taste. There is a little grain/ toast as well.

Flavors: Caramel, Nuts, Nutty, Roasted, Toasty

Why do heavily roasted teas always register as having a dill note to me? Does anyone else get that? I’m not complaining, I love dill, but it’s just such an odd note amongst all the others.

So i was expecting something much more deep and coffee-like out of this Houjicha compared to the basic roast. In fact, it is sweeter and more mellow than the basic roast, which is a surprise to me. It is so incredibly mild it is a perfect bedtime tea. I am not really getting any smoky flavor though, despite Obubu’s description of the tea, but that is A-OK with me. I don’t think this sweet roasty cha would benefit from that.

The flavors are the usual houjicha ones, a roasted, toasted, deep nutty taste with hints of grain. This one has a bit of sweet bread flavor as well. Really delicate for a houjicha. I’ve had some that taste like coffee or cigar smoke. This one is much more mild and sweet. Great!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grain, Nutty, Roasted, Toasty

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

can’t say that i do…but i almost wish i did! haha i love dill

The afternoon cuppa….

I don’t think I’ve ever had a dark roast houijcha before so I was looking forward to trying this. It’s pretty yummy! It definitely has a roasted flavor that is reminiscent of coffee, but there’s also a fruity, sort of cherry flavor about it and something creamy that would best be described as caramel. Normally houijcha is nothing for me to get super excited over, but this was a delicious sample. Glad I was able to try it…

Flavors: Caramel, Cherry, Coffee

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

That sounds fantastic! You are a terrible influence on my wallet! XD

Steepster is dangerous! :D

Cameron B.

The shipping on that sampler is so high! QQ But I noticed that YunomiUS has all of their teas and their shipping is better so I may just order from there.

TeaBrat

good to know – yes the shipping was kind of pricey since it came from Japan. :/

Dexter

Steepster is very dangerous – this is something I would really like, so of course I’m looking at the web site….

Jennkay

I love Obubu hojichas, and I got all of mine from Yunomi. They seem to have frequent sales/shipping deals

TeaBrat

Looks like Yunomi has some good stuff! I’d be tempted to order but I’m swimming in Japanese teas right now :)