Hojicha Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding

Fruit Green Blend
Apple, Cinnamon, Hojicha, Maple Crystals, Raisins
Burnt, Cinnamon, Raisins, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Toast, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Maple, Toasty
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Sipdown! (34 | 238) I like this one. Of course, I adore hojicha, so I’m not that surprised. It sort of tastes like if you made cinnamon toast with cinnamon raisin bread. The hojicha adds a nice...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample from VariaTEA. I’m surprised that i liked this one as much as i did. Hojicha is hit or miss for me but in this case it wasn’t half bad. This was more cinnamon raisin bread to me than bread...” Read full tasting note
  • “Prior to trying this tea I really hadn’t developed a taste for hojicha. I decided I would order this tea based on some great reviews I had seen and wow, it didn’t let me down. I should start by...” Read full tasting note
  • “Latte Sipdown (237) I had such high hopes for this one but I am not loving it. I think its the hojicha since this is overwhelmingly grassy. Cinnamon, sweet maple, grass. So its not working for me...” Read full tasting note

From Dessert by Deb

Oh the mouthwatering aromas from a little cottage bakery: muffins, pies, oh and yes, bread…and bread pudding straight from the oven! This sweet and earthy roasted Japanese hojicha blend is a comforting fall blend like no other with cinnamon, raisins, maple, and brown sugar. Dish up a portion of this warm and delicious treat for the coziest hug in a mug!

Certified organic ingredients: Roasted Green Tea, Canadian Maple, Cinnamon, Raisins, Brown Sugar, Apple

Handcrafted in Toronto, Canada

Steeping instructions: 2 tea spoons at 200F for 5-6 mins (enjoy me as a tea latte!)

About Dessert by Deb View company

Dessert by Deb is an organic tea company and lifestyle brand based in Toronto, Canada. At Dessert by Deb, it's tea time all the time because tea isn't just a drink - it's a way of life. From stationery and paper products, to kitchen accessories, to sweet and delicious organic dessert teas inspired by afternoon tea, patisseries, and baked goods, there are plenty of ways to bring the joy of teatime into your everyday life. Join the tea party!

Sipdown! (34 | 238)

I like this one. Of course, I adore hojicha, so I’m not that surprised. It sort of tastes like if you made cinnamon toast with cinnamon raisin bread. The hojicha adds a nice “burnt crispy edges” sort of note to it. And I do taste the raisiny notes as well, along with plenty of cinnamon.

My only slight complaint would be, it’s almost a bit too sweet? Not overwhelmingly so, but as someone who doesn’t sweeten her tea, I think I would like it more with slightly less sugar. It also has a somewhat thin mouthfeel, but I find that fairly normal for hojicha.

I think I’ll probably still reorder it at some point, just because it’s just a unique flavor profile and it really captures the flavor of cinnamon raisin bread.

Flavors: Burnt, Cinnamon, Raisins, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet, Toast

Sample from VariaTEA. I’m surprised that i liked this one as much as i did. Hojicha is hit or miss for me but in this case it wasn’t half bad. This was more cinnamon raisin bread to me than bread pudding but i’d call that a win for Deb lol

Prior to trying this tea I really hadn’t developed a taste for hojicha. I decided I would order this tea based on some great reviews I had seen and wow, it didn’t let me down. I should start by saying I love cinnamon raisin bread, absolutely love it! I can safely say that this tea is cinnamon raisin bread….in a cup!!!!!!!! The hojicha base gives this tea a darker quality, makes me think of when you are eating raisin bread and the crust ends are all dark and browned, this is the taste that is captured here. The raisin and cinnamon are there, I get everything! I do enjoy this one as a latte, as Deb suggests to make it as, and I think the latte aspect brings out the pudding part of the title. This tea actually was my top tea of 2020, it was that good!!!!! As someone who tries a lot of teas it take a lot to really wow me and this tea really did wow me!!

Inkling

Wow, this sounds amazing!

Latte Sipdown (237)

I had such high hopes for this one but I am not loving it. I think its the hojicha since this is overwhelmingly grassy. Cinnamon, sweet maple, grass. So its not working for me at all…which is probably for the best since I can’t love and own everything.

Cameron B.

Aww what a shame, I agree that sometimes houjicha can be too grassy. I have this one but haven’t opened it yet…

VariaTEA

I feel like I am not in the majority so hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Silent Kettle

Did you try this one as a latte? Sorry to hear you didn’t like it :( This one is one of my favourites! <3

VariaTEA

Yeah, it was a latte. Cant win them all but that just means one less tea I want to buy so my wallet will be happy lol

Silent Kettle

Aw! Sorry to hear that! :( True, everybody has different taste buds, ha-ha! :) What would you say your favourite tea from Dessert by Deb is?

I love this one! :) I like it as a latte, but I also like it plain. It tastes like you are drinking a melted cinnamon raisin bread! :) I also love how Deb makes flavoured hojicha blends.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Maple, Raisins, Roasted, Toasty

Yummmmmm. This is the tea that made me place my first Dessert By Deb order. I love hojicha, and feel like it’s so under-utilized in flavored blends. The maple is subtle and works really well here. It’s bready, and the cinnamon is bold. It really tastes like a toasted piece of cinnamon swirl bread. Tried with and without oat milk, and both ways are tasty. I think I prefer with milk.

Silent Kettle

I agree! It is super delicious as a latte

I’m always a sucker for a Hojicha. It has such a warming flavor that pairs well with cinnamon. I can taste other flavors, which I’m guessing is the raisin. It does have a sort of baked flavor about it and reminds me of a Lupicia tea I have that has apricot and cinnamon. It’s good and might be something I’d consider ordering if I didn’t already have a similar tea. It’s nice to see teas other than the standard green or black being used in a blend!
Thanks to VariaTEA for the chance to try this!

Silent Kettle

I agree! It is a creative blend, like the fireside s’mores which utilized lapsang souchong. I will definitely be re-ordering this (as soon as I make my way through the rest of my Dessert by Deb Order, lol)

This is the tea from this new collection that I practically lost my mind over and just HAD to try as soon as possible – the idea of a cinnamon raisin profile on a houjicha base is just so brilliant to me, and I do basically always love any tea that utilizes houjicha…

I want Deb to do more with this base, because it’s incredible! The liquor is medium bodied, with a really clean and crisp texture. The perfect level of roast with a nutty quality, hint of minerality, and kind of barley like flavour. It works so well with the subtle kiss of woodier cinnamon, which is my favourite cinnamon of the moment – I am officially over “hot cinnamon” (like Valentine’s Day hearts) tea for the moment. I get just a bit of sweet raisin, and that obviously compliments the cinnamon so well. It’s almost elegant feeling, because while you get that cinnamon/raisin profile it’s not over powering the tea base at all – it’s just a solidly balanced profile where they all get the representation that they deserve.

Only thing I’ll say is that, to me, a “pudding” would indicate some kind of creaminess and that was absent from the cup for me. It’s probably more accurate to call this a Jojicha Cinnamon Raisin Toast type of profile – but that’s equally delicious!

AJRimmer

Added to my wishlist! I’ll definitely have to place an order in a few months.

Silent Kettle

I love this blend. It might be one of my favourite teas of all time (thus far!) Did you try this as a latte by any chance? It really amps up the creaminess and makes it more like a pudding