Blueberry Pancakes

Fruit Herbal Blend
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From DAVIDsTEA

Memories are made of homemade pancakes on a beautifully slow Sunday morning. Soak up all the brunch feels in this decadent tea that tastes exactly like a stack of fresh blueberry flapjacks drizzled with golden Canadian maple syrup. And did we mention the maple leaf sprinkles? Brb, it’s nap time.

What makes it great

Reminiscent of a slow Sunday brunch.

Butterfly pea flower helps give this blend its beautiful purple hue.

Features sweet blueberries and syrupy maple leaf sprinkles.

Tea Guide Tip: This tea contains hibiscus, which means it won’t mix well with milk

How it tastes
Fresh blueberry pancakes drizzled with golden maple syrup

Apple, Raisin, Hibiscus blossom, Lemongrass, Rosehip peel, Artificial (blueberry, maple) flavouring, Blueberry leaf, Maple leaf sprinkles (sugar, rice flour, cocoa butter, potato starch), Butterfly pea blossom, Nettle leaf, Black currant, Blueberry, Stevia extract

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really wanted to like this one and I sort of did. The hibiscus was moderate, the blueberry flavor was good. It’s the sweetener that turns me off. I value the ability to sweeten (or not) my tea. I kept going back and forth on if I liked it or not, so it’s landing somewhere in the middle.

gmathis

Here’s to sweetening autonomy!

Evol Ving Ness

I’m with you both on this.

Dustin

I’m really perplexed at why the David’s blending gods have decided to presweeten so many of their teas. Who decided that was a good idea and why? LOL!

CrowKettle

They now have a “Stevia Free” category on their website and all I can think is why did we get to a point where this is necessary? lol

Evol Ving Ness

Hahaha, someone clearly has been reading our comments. Do these people have shares in stevia production facilities or what?

CrowKettle

You still must check the ingredients list yourself because on page 3, “Green Passionfruit” tea lists stevia extract D: #betrayal

I can live with most of DT’s sweetener (sugar) additives in small doses (Cardamom French Toast), but I loathe in-built stevia. Blueberry Jam would probably be a staple if it it wasn’t for stevia and it’s terrible thin, metallic grossness intruding at the last moment every sip. Literally.The.Worst. lol (sorry for rant)

Agreed and agreed.

Dustin

There is something thin and empty to the sweetness of stevia! I never thought of it that way other than a weird sense that something was missing.

It was ok. Didn’t taste any pancake but the blueberry flavor is good

(DavidsTea 131)

Wasn’t sure what to expect with this tea, especially since it’s an herbal. I’m very used to 52teas’ pancake teas, which are on a black base. I ended up enjoying it, especially as it had that sweet “cakey” flavour that reminds me of Della Terra’s cake teas. And also, I think, DT’s Red Velvet? I’m not sure whether I got blueberry OR pancakes, though (although the dry aroma is definitely blueberry). Another tea requiring another, more thoughtful, tea session.

11952 tasting notes

Another new tea – and one I have been very excitedly waiting to talk about!

I’ve thought that a pancake tea would be a very fun idea for DT to do for a long time. The maple flavour that is used in other DT blends, like Maple Syrup Oolong, is so perfect for that concept and there’s just a lot of fun directions you could take the idea while sticking to DT’s “style” of blend. Personally, I thought something like Banana Pancakes was probably the route that would end up being explored – but I am thrilled that we went with Blueberry Pancakes instead!

I joke that there isn’t a blueberry tea from DT that I don’t like and this tea is not about to be the exception. There’s just something about the way DT blueberry teas manage to balance that jammy sweetness with a bright juiciness that speaks to me on a different level than the way a lot of other companies approach blueberry. That fun balance of sweet and syrupy blueberry with juicy bright blueberry is perfection here – and I think it makes a lot of sense for the tea. I remember having blueberry pancakes as a kid, and every now getting the bite with the super plump blueberry that just exploded in your mouth. That’s kind of what’s happening here, but with each sip!

And of course the maple is great! It could have been this flavour that was too heavy handed or too sweet, but I think it’s just balanced enough to not be the main flavour focus (that should be the blueberry!) while also not being lost at all. It’s like pouring the perfect amount of syrup on your pancakes: you don’t want them to be dripping with syrup but you definitely want to taste it in each bite or, in this case, sip.

The only thing I don’t love is that you can’t add milk because of the hibiscus in the blend. It’s a bit of a Catch 22 though, because I know that without the slight addition of hibiscus the flavour of the blueberry wouldn’t be as juicy/pop as much and I don’t think I want to give up that flavour quality either. So kind of sucks – but I do have other DT blueberry blends that I can add milk to (like my beloved Blueberry Jam) so I guess I can live with it.