Blood Orange Earl Grey (Organic)

Calendula Petals, Natural Flavours, Organic Black Tea, Organic Hibiscus, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Rose Hips
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “(DavidsTea 2) This is one of those times I really regret not being able to pick up only 10g from a store. I don’t tend to like a lot of orangey teas, but hoped the black base + earl grey would...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gongfu! So last weekend I did an instagram live tea tasting and conversation with TheOolongDrunk and The Tea Squirrel – and during the conversation we did a bit of a “weird tea prep” experiment...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s no secret – we love putting our own spin on the classic Earl Grey. In fact, our first ever EG twist was Cream of Earl Grey, and it’s now one of our bestselling blends. This time, we’re bringing you a lively citrus version. Experience freshly pressed blood orange on the nose with notes of black tea and hibiscus, which help lend body to the cup. The bergamot lingers long after each sip, solidifying this tea as a splendidly refined blend.

How it tastes
Blood orange on the nose with notes of black tea & hibiscus.

What makes it great

A bright & complex take on the classic Earl Grey that’s right on-trend.

Freshly pressed blood orange dominates the flavor.

Black tea & hibiscus lend body and astringency to liven the cup.

Organic black tea, Organic orange peel, Organic rosehip, Organic hibiscus, Organic calendula petal, Natural (bergamot, orange, tangerine) flavouring.

Organic, Kosher.

$9.98 per 50g

About DAVIDsTEA View company

(DavidsTea 2)

This is one of those times I really regret not being able to pick up only 10g from a store. I don’t tend to like a lot of orangey teas, but hoped the black base + earl grey would redeem it. Unfortunately, not the case. Not enough earl grey, and plenty of orange, but I’m finding it somewhat bitter (my money is on orange peel and/or hibiscus). Possibly a good tea for certain palates, but not mine.

Gongfu!

So last weekend I did an instagram live tea tasting and conversation with TheOolongDrunk and The Tea Squirrel – and during the conversation we did a bit of a “weird tea prep” experiment where we have a live Gongfu session of an Earl Grey. I picked this one because I didn’t want to do a traditional Earl Grey – I’m not big on bergamot and I felt like that might be too aggressive for my tastes.

I kept my steeps VERY short – flash steeps only until after the third steep – but I actually thought this was alright. Very weighted towards aromatic and floral bergamot at the start but also a really robust black tea and a sweet and fragrant orange. It was mostly just like a more aromatic version of how this tea tastes prepared normally, but with more top note bergamot and less pithyness to the finish. After a bit, the bergamot steeped out a fair bit, and then more of the hibiscus and blood orange were left to shine in a steep or two. From there it just gradually got weaker and by steep seven the leaf was spent.

Would I do it again? I don’t think so – but as an exercise I thought it was interesting and still pretty enjoyable!