2018 EoT Wuliang Wild brewed in a clay gaiwan. Light and refined woody ‘wildfruit’ and grassy pear taste with no smoke or bitterness. Active in the mouth with tangy minerality and drying/mouth-watering qualities. I can feel it going down. The straw-like astringency grows stronger and leaves a pleasant bite in the throat. Kind of nutty/mushroomy/very light iodine aftertaste. Camphor and mild returning sweetness are quick to show. Beautiful floral aroma — don’t forget to smell the lid.

This is a wild tea with a more ephemeral, contemplative almost oolong feel than the aggressive nature of others I’ve tried. That chest-forward energy is there, though; gonna say it’s not suitable as a night-time brew. I’m happy with this tea even if it is short-lived.

Edit: I oversteeped several cups and it still turned out lovely with only a mild background bitterness. I do want to compare brewing the leaf in a porcelain pot and again in the gaiwan with longer infusions. This tea seems like it has wiggle room.

Flavors: Berries, Camphor, Drying, Flowers, Fruity, Grass, Iodine, Mineral, Mushrooms, Nuts, Pear, Smooth, Straw, Tangy, Wet Wood, Wood

Boiling 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Nattie

I broke my Yixing gaiwan, think I’ll buy a new one. That doesn’t count as breaking my no-buy, right?

derk

You might have to look elsewhere for justification. My lips are sealed (around this Yixing cup that partners with the gaiwan).

Lmao, that’s cold.

derk

Oof, sorry! :$ Really, though, I love this thing: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/yixing-purple-clay-easy-gaiwan-and-cup-set

It’s cheap.

Nattie

I’ve never had a gaiwan with a pouring lip! Taking note – I’ve favourited the page so I can make my way back to it when the time comes to buy more tea (: Yunnan Sourcing is going to be one of the first companies I place an order with when I can, so hopefully I can stay patient enough to wait until then!

Comments

Nattie

Lmao, that’s cold.

It’s cheap.

Nattie

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA