So here’s the thing. I LOVE cinnamon. Especially cinnamon candies. I buy the sizzling cinnamon Jelly Belly packs on their own, and I use the cinnamon fire Jolly Ranchers to get through busy work days, and I’ve been known to use cinnamon mouthwash and floss.

And I want to love this tea in the same way, because I get that Big Red scent right off the top of it before it’s brewed, but the rooibos! Ugh, the rooibos.

I know this tea is a smash hit with so many people. Or at least, it seems that way, because this tea gets lumped in with a bunch of sampler packs. I love a good sampler pack but I always have to hesitate when I see this tea is in it. I struggle so hard with this tea I don’t buy OTHER tea when they’re packaged together.

Truthfully, this is just a personal problem with rooibos, and I’m sure it would be delicious for others. But also, if you know of a good red hot cinnamon tea that doesn’t use rooibos, or if there’s a way to help overwhelm the wood and dirt taste I get from the rooibos and enjoy this one, I’m all ears.

DAVIDsTEA caffeine free advent, day 13

Cameron B.

The classic choice would be Hot Cinnamon Spice from Harney & Sons. It has a black base but you can’t really taste it at all. Straight-up Red Hots tea. :P

ashmanra

Harney Hot Cinnamon is soooooo Red Hots that I used to mix it half and half with plain black tea just so I could drink it.

Roswell Strange

I also really like DT’s Orange Spice but it’s not just a red hot cinnamon (though it is a STRONG cinnamon) since it has orange/clove too – so possibly not quite what you’re looking for.

whosbradpitt

Thanks to all of you for this!
Funny enough, I definitely tried the Hot Cinnamon Spice several years back. At the time, I was trying to find a tea I’d had at some restaurant that reminded me of cider but with orange instead of apple, and I thought the ingredients here fit the bill. I liked the tea but it wasn’t what I was after. Never found that original tea, but now I need to go for both of these :)

Comments

Cameron B.

ashmanra

Roswell Strange

whosbradpitt

Thanks to all of you for this!

Early 30s mom of 2 (ages 7 & 1) and lecturer in California.
Great at buying tea, good at drinking tea, bad at timely reviews. Drawn to fruit, floral, spice, and flavored teas in general; prefer those that stand well without milk or sweetener.

Still figuring this out, but slowly adding to cupboard. I rate when a package is finished as I’m deciding whether to reorder.

I think of my ratings as letter grades.
90-100 A: loved it; want to rebuy immediately so I have it on hand
80-89 B: tasty; would pick it up again but okay to wait until I get through other teas
70-79 C: good; could grab with a good deal
60-69 D: okay; would keep in a set but may not repurchase on its own
0-59 F: various shades of bad; would not purchase; closer to 0 means may not even drink again if offered