2018 Yunnan Sourcing "Guardian" Blended Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Alcohol, Coffee, Cookie, Cucumber, Drying, Earth, Forest Floor, Fruity, Grapes, Grass, Milk, Mineral, Moss, Mushrooms, Oats, Pepper, Spicy, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Vegetal, Vinegar, Wood, Apple, Apple Skins, Astringent, Bitter, Compost, Cream, Floral, Honey, Thick, Grass Seed, Herbs, Meat, Nutty, Pear, Walnut
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

6 Images

• “This sheng continues its journey and by now produces a distinctly orange-coloured liqour. In its taste, there is still some grassiness, but fairly subdued. Today I noted a more nutty profile with...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a unique blend of three different high quality spring 2018 raw pu-erh teas from Lincang and Simao. We relentlessly blended teas from various sources and ratios together to create a powerful and balanced tea that is worthy of long term aging.

The result is a thick golden tea soup with a whole spectrum of flavors and aromas that will continually transform with the passing of time. A powerful tea!

We decided to to call this tea “Guardian” in honor of dogs everywhere! A guardian is protective, strong, loyal, and relentless. Even the smallest of dogs will protect their owner to their dying breath, and even the poorest of owners will have a loyal friend and guardian in a dog. Dogs not only protect us, but also offer their gift of unconditional love!

357 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong)
First Flush of Spring 2018 Harvested Tea
150 kilograms in total produced (420 cakes)
Wrapper Illustration by Daniel Mervis

This tea has been tested in a certified laboratory for 191 pesticides, and is within the EU MRL limits set for those 191 pesticide residues.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This sheng continues its journey and by now produces a distinctly orange-coloured liqour. In its taste, there is still some grassiness, but fairly subdued. Today I noted a more nutty profile with mild fermentation tartness, pepperiness (like rocket) as well as notes of oregano, pear, walnuts and grass seeds. Its aftertaste is nicely warming, which is interesting to see in a young tea like this one.

Flavors: Apple, Bitter, Cream, Grass, Grass Seed, Herbs, Meat, Nutty, Pear, Pepper, Sweet, Tart, Walnut

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
derk

Have you had this since it was released?

Togo

Indeed, it’s one of the few cakes I got without sampling and I’m definitely not regretting I did :)

derk

It’s also one of my few blind cakes and I’ve had it since release. Haven’t drank it yet, though. Maybe I should so we can compare notes over time :)

Oh, no, I misspoke. I have more than a few blind cakes :3