Date drunk: 2023 Feb 5th
- 4g in 100ml gaiwan [[Gongfu brewing]]
- Rinsed twice
- Wet leaf smells woody, earthy, peaty, baked bread.
- First infusion (100˚C, 0:15)
- Surprisingly complex: sweet sugarcane, mushrooms, dark chocolate, flavourful and really smooth with no sharp edges (unlike the 2nd rinse which i sipped a bit of). Would have given higher rating if not for the slight dirt-like aftertaste. Since I stored this sample pack opened and unsealed for the past 2-3 years, that may have compromised the leaves.
- Rating: 89
- Second infusion (100˚C, 0:15)
- Flatter and less sweet than the first infusion (when hot). After cooled down, was better and sweeter. Still lots of mushrooms and umami flavour, but also that musty earthiness / dirt I don’t love. Again, could have been due to my improper storage.
- Rating: 83
- 3rd infusion (100˚C, 0:20)
- Silky. Dirt-like aftertaste is slighter now but still there.
- Rating: 86
It gave me 3-4 more infusions but already started getting lighter and lighter.
Flavors: Bread, Dark Chocolate, Dirt, Earthy, Mushrooms, Sugarcane, Wood