New York Breakfast

Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Raisins, Bitter, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet, Tea, Astringent
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “Strangely the liquor reminds me of the cocktail “Black Russian”,with the cloying and creamy touch of sweetness as if it’s the effect of coffee liqueur(I don’t get sweetness that directly,it’s just...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea smells absolutely delicious. It has an aroma that is both sweet and rich. It’s a scent that’s very… busy. Much like New York itself, I suppose. The cocoa in this blend really comes through...” Read full tasting note
  • “A bit disappointed at how weak it comes out. I expected full bodied Assam flavour but this is just similar to usual flavoured tea, the Assam is not that easy to notice. Chocolate bit tastes like...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea has an amazing smell, and it includes one of my favorite single taste teas TWG has: Chocolate. The blend has a great balance where you can feel the chocolate but it’s not too overpowering...” Read full tasting note

From TWG Tea Company

A contemporary masterpiece evocative of the sparkling city that never sleeps, this extraordinary black tea is an inviting whole-leaf Assam blended with rich and malty sweetness. A tea to savour from morning till far into the night.

About TWG Tea Company View company

Strangely the liquor reminds me of the cocktail “Black Russian”,with the cloying and creamy touch of sweetness as if it’s the effect of coffee liqueur(I don’t get sweetness that directly,it’s just a feeling of its texture and scents maybe).Then I just keep thinking about brandy、coconut and rum ,how could it happen that it’s alcohol-free?!
Some time ago I heard somebody said she loved this tea cause she got lots of cocoa bean here.Oh but I think this is more like white chocolate with alcohol (especially coffee liqueur),cocoa has been completely transformed into some dizzying dessert with lots of alcohol……

This tea smells absolutely delicious. It has an aroma that is both sweet and rich. It’s a scent that’s very… busy. Much like New York itself, I suppose. The cocoa in this blend really comes through in both smell and taste (though less in the latter).

cteresa

I had a chance to smell it and was such a wonderful scent, so glad to hear the tea itself does not disappoint!

A bit disappointed at how weak it comes out. I expected full bodied Assam flavour but this is just similar to usual flavoured tea, the Assam is not that easy to notice. Chocolate bit tastes like unsweetened oatmeal in water. The sticky thickness is obvious. Smells lovely of sweet chocolate.
I’ll try brewing it stronger to see if it can be better.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

This tea has an amazing smell, and it includes one of my favorite single taste teas TWG has: Chocolate. The blend has a great balance where you can feel the chocolate but it’s not too overpowering which leaves you with wanting more.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

Advent from Dustin Day 7
Mmmmm. A chocolate tea done right. The base is malty and rich, with notes of raisins and baked bread. The chocolate is more in the aftertaste and works extremely well with the aforementioned notes.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Raisins

This blend smells better in tea leaf form than when its boiled into a cup of tea. It has a strong malty chocolate-y scent which, unfortunately, translates only partially into a cup. Nonetheless it is still quite a delicious tea to have. Steep longer than needed to get most of its scent into your cup of tea.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

l love English Breakfast. But I love more New York breakfast than English breakfast. It is the most valuable blend for milk tea.

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

This was a lovely tea! When I tasted this tea it had passed the expiry date for more than a year. Yet, its freshness was not affected, thanks to the beautiful, air-tight tea tin!

There’s only black tea on the ingredient list but I strongly suspected that flavouring had been added because it tasted of creamy chocolate! Smelled really great but didn’t taste too sweet. It would probably be perfect with milk :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy

Ah. I’m taking another one of my birthday teas for a spin today. This one came in classy packaging: a fancy box, well-made tin with outer and inner lids, and a cool little brass handle fastened to the middle of the inner lid. When I navigated through this packaging and opened the inner lid, I was struck by a forceful sweet chocolate aroma.

The instructions said to brew this tea in “simmering” water for three minutes. I don’t know what temperature equals simmering, but I took that to mean 195 degrees.

The brewed odor also carried forth distinct sweet and chocolate characteristics. The color was a rich amber.

The flavor had sweet overtones with another hint of chocolate. The taste was also very smooth with no inkling of astringency.

I usually maximize the recommended brewing times and temperatures to pull the most flavor possible from my teas. In this instance, I followed the recommended stingy time and temperature to the letter and was pleasantly surprised by the potency of the taste.

The aftertaste was also just right. It lingered on my palate pleasantly and gently.

I like this tea a lot. Not only will I happily look forward to swilling the entire tin, but I will DEFINITELY put this selection on next year’s birthday wish list.

Flavors: Chocolate, Smooth, Sweet, Tea

ashmanra

How did you fare in the hurricane, Stoo?

Stoo

Hi ashmanra! We didn’t have any problems since we are about three hours from the coast. We had some gusty wind and a full day of rain but we were fine. Thanks for asking! I hope all is well with you!

ashmanra

I thought you were in Charleston. Our city was one of the hardest hit by flooding and it followed right on the heels of flooding a week before, but my house never lost power, just water, then a week of boil advisory. Still lots of roads washed out. The flooding was brutal.

Stoo

Yes, I saw that. Sorry to hear that you got hit hard by flooding. Are things back to normal for you now? I’m in the upstate near Fort Mill.

I’m not a fan of mixing tea and chocolate but this blend does it well. It’s a great pick-me-up in the morning and the chocolate does not overpower the black tea. I enjoy the flavor of the mix of the malt and the chocolate flavors.

Flavors: Astringent, Chocolate, Malt, Sweet