Funding Shou Mei White Tea Cake 2013

White Tea
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Water: 8oz Leaves: large green/brown leaves Steep: 6m Aroma: faint Color: dark yellow Taste: This tea was more messy then the rest in terms of measuring i just pinched off a bit & put it into...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! 151 White puerh? Ok, why not? I probably shouldn’t have steeped this for the full 10 min as it IS a bit stronger than I’m used to with puerh, but I can see how this is a white/puerh...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

White tea is a non-fermented tea grown and harvested primarily in China, mostly in the Fujian and Zhejiang province. As one of the six famous Chinese teas, this tea owns its name for its white appearance. As a result of the particular process without baking and rolling, white tea leaves are coated with tiny white pekoes.
White tea has quite loose tea leaves which are not easy to carry around. For convenience, they are usually shaped into cakes. Taste has nothing to do with the tea’s shape. Loose tea and cakes of same quality can yield the same taste.
There is another good reason for people to compress loose white tea leaves into a cake, not merely for storage or transit, but also for letting the tea mature. Year later, the tea gets smoother and softer, will become sweeter and mellower.
This white tea cake is made of tea leaves picked form Da Hao and Da Bai Cha tea trees grown in Fuding, Fujian. It is Shou Mei grade, weights 380g.
In Fuding Town, there is an old saying about this tea: it is tea in the beginning, will turn into medicine three years later, and becomes treasure after seven years. Aged white tea cake is definitely valuable to drink.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz

Leaves: large green/brown leaves

Steep: 6m

Aroma: faint

Color: dark yellow

Taste: This tea was more messy then the rest in terms of measuring i just pinched off a bit & put it into my tea ball. During the steep quite a few of tea particles escaped, for the 6m brew time. Aroma i didn’t pick up on much of anything it was very light and faint. As for taste it was bland.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown! 151

White puerh? Ok, why not? I probably shouldn’t have steeped this for the full 10 min as it IS a bit stronger than I’m used to with puerh, but I can see how this is a white/puerh blend. It’s definitel dark and earthy, but there’s also that tree barky flavour I expect with certain white teas. There’s a bit of sweetness in there – like honey – and the liquor is dark and rich.

The honey notes actually become more prominent further in the cup, and as it cools. INTERESTING. This isn’t one I thought I’d immediately love but it’s growing on me!

Thank you Sil!

DeliriumsFrogs

Cavo, how do you steep puerh if you’re not doing short steeps? I’ve only done it in my gaiwan for short steeps, and this method sometimes prevents me from drinking it, because it takes more attention/time. I’d love to learn a way to steep puerh in a less fussy fashion.

OMGsrsly

You could do it my terrible awful way, which is putting ~1/2 tsp leaf into a thermos and adding hot water and forgetting about it until about 4 hours later. :D Only works for some teas though.

DeliriumsFrogs

haha! Maybe I’ll try that sometime. :)

Cavocorax

The packaging from teavivre said to steep it for 6-10 min so that’s what I went with. I thought that was a little insane, but Mandala’s Special Dark says the same and for the first time I just go with what the vendor suggests.

OMGsrsly – I bet Special Dark would survive a 4 hour steep. :P

I have some! I might try it. :D

OMGsrsly

The nuggets from Mandala work GREAT that way, you can steep for 4 hours 3-4 times before simmering them on the stove to extract the last of the goodness.

DeliriumsFrogs

ooooh! I love these ways of steeping! :D I must try.

Cavocorax

And, I must try doing short steeps more often too! :P I just have a hard time dedicating an afternoon to puer. :P But luckily a lot of the tea I’ve bought from Mandala/Verdant have instructions for Western Style brewing. :P Or I guess, but I know I’m missing out on a lot of the nuances… (but if it means I do that, or I don’t drink it at all, then… I’m doing ok)

DeliriumsFrogs

That’s just it, for me too. I love when I can find the time to dedicate to a full puerh session, but there are days I want to drink it, but don’t have the time to sit down properly for multiple short steeps. Also, I haven’t figured out how to keep my water warm sufficiently, and it can be a real pain heating up cold water repeatedly for the session (I either need a better kettle, or a thermos… not sure which).

OMGsrsly

Thermos! Kettle just means you’re reheating the water constantly. Unless you get one of the Asian water heaters..