The Vanilla Earl

3 Images

From teakruthi

Pure Ceylon Black tea (BOP1) · Bergamont oil · Vanilla extract
Loose leaf · From Dimbulla region

Tucked away in a secret part of the Ratnapura district in Sri Lanka lies a hidden low land treasure that supports the growth of delectable, high grown black tea. Hand selected to achieve the highest level of flavour protection and quality, this tea is then blended with the traditional flavouring of the Earl Grey – bergamot oil. Further enhancing these flavours, we’ve added sweet vanilla to create the perfect dessert tea. Reaching a dazzling light copper when fully brewed, this tea will entice you with its sweet, lemon, and floral notes. Pair this with your favourite cakes or simply enjoy its sweetness as a dessert in and of itself.
Tasting notes

Aroma Citrusy note with a hint of rose Liquor Light copper Taste Sweet, citrusy with hints of floral

Health benefits of The Vanilla Earl tea

Bergamot oil featured in The Vanilla Earl is rich in Vitamin C and Bioflavonoid Quercetin that acts as an anti-histamine and boosts immunity against cold and flu. Antioxidants present in the bergamot oil and black tea work together as a diuretic to detox your body, helping overall kidney health, digestion, constipation and acid reflux. The Vanilla Earl is rich in antioxidants that help reduce cholesterol and risk of heart disease, and contain Polyphenols have been shown to reduce the risk of Breast and Ovarian Cancer in women and Prostate Cancer in men.

Servings
1 tsp (2.3g) per 1 cup (6 oz, 180 ml)

Brewing
Near boil at 95-100 C (203-212 F)

Steepings
3 to 5 minutes, up to 3 times

Suggestions
Drink plain; add milk

About teakruthi View company

Instead of Alice (see derk’s note) I decided to brew this one today.
And honestly, I was afraid this one would be too dessert-like to me, though I was craving some sweet one this afternoon. But I have hoped it won’t be that bad.

After opening the pouch, I needed to let the tea “breath” a little as it was highly aromatic! I took about two teaspoons, with quite a nice combination of black tea with contrast white and yellow safflower petals.

It was just right amount for my 300 ml cup and I steeped it for around 3 minutes but haven’t measured exactly today. It has got similar colour as pictured.

I am not sure which note is stronger, if the bergamot one or vanilla. But they work very well together nad both are very nicely present.
The citrusy note of bergamot is tingling a bit, but feels natural and not artificial. Kind of pleasantly sour too. On the other side of spectrum there is sweet vanilla note, coating whole mouth with vanilla custard; while it’s hot drink. Again, a natural feeling of it. Kind of unfortunate, the base is so hidden of flavourings and thus I haven’t noticed that much. But this tea is one of the dessert ones I will drink when craving for some sweet one. Similar as Lemon Kandy.

Flavors: Bergamot, Pleasantly Sour, Round , Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 2 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

I love a good Earl Grey. I’ve tasted many from different companies but none have them have taken it to the level that Teakruthi has. Some are too creamy, some are so strong in bergamot that the citrus knocks you out. Vanilla Earl is the perfect marriage of both of these unique ingredients.

Latte Sipdown (288)

I overleafed this and it sort of tastes like soap. I am not a fan. This got dumped. I think that may be on me but it could also be the bergamot.

Thanks so much for the samples, Teakruthi!  I felt terrible with my internet down not being able to get to reviews of teas from various tea shops.  It seems like I acquired quite a handful before my computer broke.  And then I feel like my chlorine sink water is ruining teas, so I really would like to figure that out before I’m posting reviews of teas.  However, I feel like I should do a couple, as it has been a while!
I was all in for a vanilla Earl Grey!  There seems to be many flower petals here… maybe too many… certainly more flower petals in my sample than the photo.  I do like my Earls brisk, and this Ceylon may be a little too light for my tastes, even with closer to two teaspoons.  I have certainly had worse bergamot teas, but this one seems more like lemon.  Sadly, not much noticeable vanilla in the fragrance or flavor.   As the tea cools, it is more of a smoky flavor somehow, with the bergamot turning to a lemon rind sort of flavor.  Somehow the tea and lemon are stronger, when the cup is cold?  But not astringent.  The second steep is stronger and more to my tastes.  Earl Greys are difficult to please, as well as vanilla teas, so with the added difficulty of both of these types of difficult to make perfect for me, this one is tough to love.  It’s not a bad cup, anyhow!
Steep #1 // 1 3/4 teaspoons for a full mug // 14 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled  // 3-4 minute steep

I’m eyeing a couple teas on DAVIDStea’s sale (Chagas, Movie Night, Cookie Dough) , but they already took down Sweet Potato Pie!  The day after Thanksgiving?!?!  I really like that Birch Gold Dipped mug too…

Roswell Strange

Not sure about the mug, but we sold out of Sweet Potato Pie (which is why it disappeared from the site).

tea-sipper

Sweet Potato Pie must have been a REALLY good one. haha

MadHatterTeaDrunk

An odd note in an Earl Grey, but it sounds intriguing, to say the least.

Not the boldest earl grey I’ve had, but it’s flavorful enough that you can enjoy it without milk. I liked the addition of the delicious vanilla because it adds some complexity that sets it apart from other EGs. I finished my sample in no time at all. It’s heavier on the creamy vanilla than on the bergamot, but I didn’t mind.

tea-sipper

Do you remember how you steeped this? I’m tasting hardly any vanilla…

AJRimmer

I’m not very vigilant about proper steeping, so I can’t give specifics. But it was at a relatively low temperature for like 3-4 minutes.