Organic China Jasmine

Green Tea
Caramel, Jasmine, Melon, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by TheSurfinSipper

2 Images

• “SO I received a sample of this from T2 and wrote some tasting notes, unbeknown to myself that I’d actually tasted and reviewed it a few months earlier! I thought I’d post this anyway for the sake...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m not numerically rating this tea, because it’s entirely possible part of the problem is me and my untrained palate, but having said that, wow, I find this intensely unpleasant, as though I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hmmm. This is my first ever jasmine tea which could be why I’m not enjoying as much as I do with teas I’m more familiar with. The aroma is very strong (unsurprisingly!) the green tea flavours of...” Read full tasting note

From T2

This Chinese organic green tea is mellow and refined. A blend of certified organic green tea and jasmine blossoms produces a light yellow infusion with a full bodied jasmine scent. Floral flavours initially dominate but are tempered by a hearty earthiness and a brisk, fresh finish.

Enjoy: Delicious with spicy Asian cuisine and great as a cleanser to finish. Enjoy on its own in the afternoon or evening.

Brew: 1 teaspoon per 200mls, brew 2 – 3 minutes in water at 80 degrees Celsius.

Flavour: Earthy and fragrant.

Properties: Robust.

Origin: Dazhangshan Mountains, Jiangxi Province, China.

About T2 View company

SO I received a sample of this from T2 and wrote some tasting notes, unbeknown to myself that I’d actually tasted and reviewed it a few months earlier! I thought I’d post this anyway for the sake of objectivity. Lo and behold It turns out I actually seem to have enjoyed it far more this time round (ok so maybe this discrepancy just throws my palate/reviewing into question, but I’m going to put it down to a shorter steeping time!). Note this review is unedited after reading my first, so the differences (and similarities) are open to see, warts and all.

Aroma: A more vegetal Jasmine than often encountered. Still with a strong floral kick but well balanced with earthy green tea aromas rising up against the sweet jasmine. An altogether more balanced Jasmine green tea than most. Hint of hazelnuts and smoke add backbone to the aroma. Let’s be honest though, this is still a jasmine tea, and JASMIN is what you get!

Palate: Rich yet not overt in any one direction. Jasmine floral notes are ever-present yet well restrained (unlike most Jasmine teas out there). A real fruity palate plays well with the jasmine, with peach and fruit salad notes present but, again, restrained. Nice to get some earthy green tea notes showing as well, and there’s loads of sweetness going on here too (for better or worse). Good depth and a mellow buttery after taste with no bitter tannin. This tea has good length to the palate too, with sweet jasmine still present well after you’ve taken your last sip. At 2mins steeping I found the flavour fully developed but not overpowering, but I’d be hesitant to go any longer.

Overall: I have a love-hate relationship with Jasmine teas. It’s rare that I find one that you can actually appreciate the ‘tea’ behind the jasmine. That is not to say that I don’t like the taste of jasmine, quite the opposite, but I definitely prize balance over flavour. I have to say this is one of the better balanced green jasmine teas I’ve drunk in a while. And the organic status is a plus. I almost feel like I need to try it again just to make sure I like it as much as I think I do (watch this space). Until then, I’ll just go back to enjoying my cup.

[Note: Ha! Just goes to show how taste can change from day to day, and how a change in steeping time can change a tea. Looks like the shorter steeping produced a more delicate, balanced tea, and took away the ‘sting in the tail’ of my first review].

I’m not numerically rating this tea, because it’s entirely possible part of the problem is me and my untrained palate, but having said that, wow, I find this intensely unpleasant, as though I heated up some water that dirty dishes had been soaking in, and drank it. This was part of a sample pack, which I brewed according to package instructions, and am now noting to remind myself: “no, self: you do not want to ever order this in the future.”

The aroma is very strong (unsurprisingly!) the green tea flavours of melon and a final almost buttery base note come through when you taste it. It starts with a slightly spicy jasmine flavour and then mellows down a little. It’s nice enough but wouldn’t be my first choice of tea.

Flavors: Caramel, Jasmine, Melon, Spicy