Grand Yunnan Impérial

Yunnan Black Tea
Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Baked Bread, Earth, Hay, Mineral, Malt, Wood, Almond, Dried Fruit, Forest Floor, Grain, Nuts, Nut Fruits, Stonefruit
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by breeteas

From Palais des Thes

Our customers’ favorite black tea with a supple texture and honey taste.

The subtle flavor of this flowery, mild tea is known as the “Mocha of teas” or “Surgeon’s tea”, as it has the power to revive without over-stimulating the nerves. A splendid leaf with plenty of golden buds.

Our verdict: Flowery and mild, this tea’s great character and subtlety has led it to be named the ‘Mocha of teas’ or “the Surgeons’ tea”, as it has the power to revive without over-stimulating the nerves. A splendid leaf with plenty of golden buds. A must for customers of Le Palais des Thés.

About Palais des Thes View company

I had a cup (or two) earlier today and forgot to log. I’m sorry for flooding the dashboard with my backlogs! LOL :)

This was good and it’s almost gone…

Had this tea at a very impressive restaurant. Husband surprised me with a last minute reservation to Dirt Candy for my birthday yesterday. I’ve been wanting to eat there since foreeever! It was everything I dreamed and more. Their dessert menu featured a couple of teas from Le Palaise des Thes, proving that a stunning meal out doesn’t have to be followed by Lipton or stale coffee.

The tea came in a small insulated press pot. Elegant and convenient. I peeked into the pot and saw that this was loose leaf. Amazing. I felt that the ratio of leaf to water was a bit off, but overall, quite tasty! Sweet honey notes. Roasty. More like a dark oolong than black tea. Malty. Perfect end to a perfect meal.

Then we went next door to play with the kitties at the no kill shelter. Husband would normally stop me from doing this as I’m allergic to the cute little things, but it was my birthday! So I’m allowed to get all itchy from cat fur if I want to. :D at some point, I got a bit too wheezy so I dropped a donation and left. Made me happy. :)

gmathis

What a lovely date! Tea and kittens!

Lindsay

Yeah best day ever!

Cavocorax

Sounds wonderful! :D

Kittenna

Happy belated birthday :)

Kashyap

a very curious note and I’m grateful as I have heard of this…happy birthday and dance with the felines and enjoy the burn…good and wonderful hearts a beautiful to behold

ashmanra

Happy Birthday! Good tea, good company, and kittens…sounds happy!

Alphakitty

Happy birthday! I don’t think I can imagine a better way to spend the day than with kittens and tea.

Mercuryhime

Thank you all. :) it was a wonderful evening.

Angrboda

Happy birthday. :D

Mercuryhime

Thanks! :)

I’m sick (fighting off a sinus infection… again) so this will be short(er than normal).

Bagged version of this tea, another new offering from my grocery store. First off, I don’t really like Le Palais De Thes’ teabags. They have a really thick string which wicks tea like crazy. If I leave the little tag at the end of the string on the side of the cup, by the time my tea is done steeping, there is a puddle of tea underneath the cup where it has wicked out of the cup, soaked into the tag and run down the side of the cup. Very annoying.

That being said, what’s in the teabag is pretty tasty. This reminds me a lot of A&D’s Tiger – smooth but with enough stoutness that it would not be defeated by a dash of milk, sweet and a bit honeyed. It’s a little more… floral? than Tiger was. Definitely a big thumbs up for a bagged tea.

Backlog:

The description suggests this tea to be subtle and mild, but, I disagree with that, and would say that instead, this tea is smooth and rich. Very much what I would expect from a high quality Yunnan.

A medium to full-bodied tea, it is a “well-mannered” robust tea that offers a smooth invigoration.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/10/grand-yunnan-imperial-black-tea-from-le-palais-de-thes/

Mmmmm very rich with aromas. Nice smell of quality black tea…
Not sure how to describe it. Can taste like honey and there’s a bit of that earthy plus hay like taste that puehrs have. Quite mild and very very tasty…
Even the colour is more dark brown than red. Excellent black leaning onto puehr…

Yumm

When brewed properly, this tea has rich earthy notes along with a hint of burnt caramel. Very nice.

Literally like tipping your tongue in the honey pot. The spicy smell of the dry leaves becomes very flowery once steeped, really inviting. Its bronze colour gives a very warm start to your mornings.

I wish I had a hot French girlfriend that I could drink this tea with and make love to while we plan our vacation to Paris to visit Jim Morrison at Pere LaChaise Cemetary.

I bought a box (20 count) of this Frenchy tea.
Not my favorite, but will eventually sipdown the entire package.
The cotton muslin teabag and string are unique.
The French / English translation and color coding makes a fun 5 min French lesson.
Didn’t have a black “pick me up” that I wished it had.

Palais Des Thes Advent Calendar Day 15:
The recommended steeping parameters are 195F but I decided to steep it using boiling water instead.
I really liked this one it was just really sweet, very smooth, and not bitter or astringent etc. Honestly I couldn’t necessarily pick out any specific flavor notes just really appreciated the sweetness and pleasantness.

Flavors: Honey, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 15 (from November backlog)

It’s always nice when there’s a straight black tea in one of my advents, so I can enjoy it as my first tea of the morning. That being said, it’s really a waste because I’m not likely to ever order a straight tea from a primarily flavored company, as there are usually much better and cheaper sources… But I digress.

This is just okay. It’s very heavy on the earthy, minerally notes which sort of overpower any more subtle flavors that might have been here. There’s a strong woodiness as well, and a bit of malt. And that’s it, really, I don’t get any fruit or honey or any of the other lovely things I generally find in a nice Yunnan tea.

Oh well! It’s not bad, just meh, especially when compared to other Yunnan teas in my cupboard.

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Mineral, Wood