Rice Aroma Ripe Pu'er

Herbal Pu-erh Blend
Brown Sugar, Butter, Earth, Hay, Leather, Milk, Nutty, Rice, Toasted Rice, Camphor, Nuts, Cream, Peanut, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Grain, Pleasantly Sour
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

From Mandala Tea

This. Is. A. Must. Try. We’ve combined an incredible, skillfully produced ripe pu’er with just the perfect amount of Nuo Mi Xiang Herb (sticky rice fragrance). The result is a spectacular blend that is rice-y, a bit nutty, earthy, with a hint of camphor. This is the finest rice scented ripe pu’er available, we have no doubt. The base ripe pu’er blend is this and it is astoundingly good.

This style of tea is frequently called “sticky rice pu’er tea” and you’ll understand why the moment you open the bag. It’s simply delightful. This tea contains no grains whatsoever.

We do not recommend consuming this tea while fasting. The aroma alone may make you want to run to the nearest Chinese restaurant for takeout!

Basic Brewing Instructions:

Ripe Pu’er may be given two 5-10 second rinses with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
195˚-212˚ F water temperature.
Use 1-3 teaspoons per 8 Oz. of filtered water.
Recommended first steeping of 30 seconds – 1 minute. Add 30 seconds for each subsequent infusion.

Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.

About Mandala Tea View company

Mandala. Every time I think I’ve tried your best tea you throw me through another loop and I taste something even better. (Granted I still find it hard to beat your Milk oolong) Though I’m not much of a fan of pu er, I find this one astounding. I truly feel like I am drinking sticky rice. The mouthfeel is incredibly silky. If steeped for too long the earthy notes become a bit overwhelming. Make sure to try this gong fu style.

Garret

I cannot wait to show you our new Scarlet Fire cake and minis that are coming soon and also our If I Had the World to Give cakes. Those three should be on their way from the pressing factory soon enough. They are going to be lit! Sipping the Zendo cake as I write this and really enjoying it. I hope you are well. Thank you for the write up!

Sipdown! sad to see this one go but not as sad if it was dark star or special dark. I know i can get more of this one anytime :)

Thanks so much for letting me try this, Kawaii433! I thought a teaspoon would work great in my smaller dragon mug. The leaves look larger for a pu-erh, not the tiny pieces. To be honest, I would expect a puerh with a rice flavor to use the smaller leaves… the smaller leaves would impart a darker, deeper flavor. This is certainly tasty, with plenty of sweet rice flavor. Also NONE of the negative flavors that puerh might have. As I expected, the larger leaves aren’t creating as deep of a flavor as I love in puerh. But the rice flavor is certainly making it a tea I really like. I suppose I could have just used more than a teaspoon, as you can’t really overdo a ripe puerh.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for full smaller mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 4 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 min

Kawaii433

Yay glad you enjoyed it :D

I had quite a heavy dinner, a taco salad with lots of salsa and guacamole.

So now, I’m just chillin’ and am enjoying this “sticky rice pu’er tea” tonight. It’s rich, although not too much depth because after the 4th infusion, the majority of the rich flavor is gone but the rest of the infusions are still flavorful, just a much lighter flavor. It’s earthy, leather notes but not too overwhelming, and that’s a good thing for me because I don’t like the heavy leather taste. It’s a little nutty, has brown sugar notes throughout with a very light sweet finish. Not sugary sweet. Some dark chocolate notes (especially in the beginning) could be sugarcane sweetness, not sure and then transforms into a more creamy light milk sweetness on the 4th or 5th steeping. Throughout the steepings is a very delicate glutinous rice scent that I love. It’s a good balance but I wouldn’t mind even more of the sticky rice flavor personally.^^

Porcelain gaiwan, 5g, 212˚ F, 7 steeps: rinse, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Earth, Hay, Leather, Milk, Nutty, Rice, Toasted Rice

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Gone gaiwan. 5g, 100mL, 212F. Short rinse followed by 7 steeps at 15s/25/30/45/1m/1m30/5?m

This is a nice, mellow shou, fragrant and comforting. The base tea is rather savory and not very sweet. It lacks off-putting aromas and tastes. Works well with the sticky rice herb which is not overpowering, though it is looking old. The first four steeps were the richest and the last 3 were not too watery. Despite me not considering this a sweet tea, there was a strong lingering sweetness in the back of the mouth. It was good for drinking at night which is what I purchased it for. Not too much focus was required, it was relatively short-lived and seemed low in caffeine. Prit-tay good.

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
eastkyteaguy

I’ve been meaning to try this one for a while. I don’t drink pu’erh frequently, but I’m way bigger on shou than sheng. I tend to like what Mandala Tea offers. They’re kind of famous around these parts for their Milk Oolong and their pu’erh.

derk

I’ve had several of their shou over the course of a few years. They were all very clean and of excellent quality. The milk oolong wasn’t my jam but I can see why so many people love it.

eastkyteaguy

I used to love the milk oolong, but I’ve neither reviewed it nor consumed any of it in at least two years.

Mastress Alita

I have a different sticky rice herb pu-ehr, and I love to make it as a tea, then use the tea as the water my Minute Rice soaks up as a quick snack. The tea is also one of my favorite ramen broths.

Today this is all about the sourdough. I guess sour fermentation and nutty rice grains promote some crossovers with other food associations.

I wonder how many steeps I’d have to go through before stripping back most of the flavouring.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Camphor, Chocolate, Grain, Milk, Nutty, Pleasantly Sour, Toasted Rice

Nattie

How many steeps did you get in the end?

CrowKettle

Oh, my ongoing status was a lie! Other teas distracted me yesterday. Will have to try for a long session again.

Nattie

Lol. I have a few teas I keep meaning to drink, but avoiding because I want to have a long session with them and I know I’ll get distracted with other teas. It happens to us all XD

Kawaii433

Great Pu’er. I have some still, now you make me what to have some. Maybe I’ll have some this afternoon.