Green Herbal Blend
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Ooh, so excited! I adore sakura sencha, but this is the first time I’ve seen one from Obubu, and they were kind enough to include it in the March subscription box! \o/ I was surprised that the...” Read full tasting note

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

This limited herbal Sencha is a blend of our delicious Sencha of the Spring Sun with Wazuka’s wild Sakura (cherry tree) leaves and blossoms. A green cup of freshness and umami coupled with a fantastic flowery aroma for the most enchanting visual and tasting experience. One sip, and you are in Japan sitting under the Sakura blossoms!

Taste: Floral
Body: Medium
Texture: Sharp
Length: Long
Harvest: May
Tea Cultivar: Yabukita (tea) Yae-sakura (cherry blossoms)
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Lightly Steamed, Rolled, Dried

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

It started with a single cup of tea. As the legend goes, our president Akihiro Kita, or Akky-san, visited Wazuka, Kyoto one fateful day. At the time, Akky-san was still a college student in search for life's calling. After trying the region's famous Ujicha (literally meaning tea from the Uji district), he immediately fell in love and his passion for green tea was born. He had finally found what he was looking for in that one simple cup of tea. After fifteen years of learning to master the art of growing tea from tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms was born and as they say, the rest is history. So what's an Obubu? Obubu is the Kyoto slang for tea. Here in the international department we call ourselves Obubu Tea. That's "Tea Tea" for the bilinguals. We love tea so much, we just had to have it twice in our name. Now Obubu means more than just tea to us. It means, family, friends, passion and the place we call home. More than just tea. Though the roots of Obubu stem from tea, it has become more than that over the years. Obubu is an agricultural social venture, operating with three (1) bring quality Japanese tea to the world (2) contribute to the local and global community through tea (3) revitalize interest in tea and agriculture through education.

1 Tasting Note

I was surprised that the instructions recommend only 120ml of water for the 5g packet. But I suppose maybe it makes sense given there’s less actual tea than usual here, because of the added sakura blossoms and leaves. So I got to use a cute baby teapot!

This is so lovely. The base tea here is their Sencha of the Spring Sun, which is an unshaded spring-harvest sencha. It has some lovely vegetal spinach and umami notes, with a bit of fresh green grass on the side. There is virtually no bitterness, but a touch of astringency on the tail end with this fairly long steep time. It’s an excellent choice to pair with the sakura, as its flavor is mellow enough not to be overpowering. I love the taste of sakura, but I feel like I always have a hard time describing it in other words. There’s definitely some cherry, though it’s more subtle than you would expect from the name “cherry blossom”. It has a wonderful savoriness to it that really sets it apart from other flowers, and the floral presence is soft and light.

Not sure how this compares to my beloved Chasandai sakura sencha, I’d probably need to sip them side-by-side. It’s definitely different, because the Chasandai version has sugared leaves in it, which adds an extra sweetness. Although looking at the Yunomi website, it looks like it might be discontinued now…? T.T

Flavors: Astringent, Cherry, Cherry Blossom, Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Sakura, Savory, Seaweed, Smooth, Spinach, Umami, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 140 ML
Mastress Alita

Was this one very salty? I love sakura teas too, but I find the salt preservative off-putting in my teacup.

Mastress Alita

Also, boo about the Chasandai one being discontinued! I prefer that one to all the others I’ve tried because it is sugar-preserved instead of salt-preserved… I wonder what I’ll use now.

Cameron B.

I don’t think there’s any salt or sugar in this one, as far as I can tell the flowers and leaves are just dried.