Wild Black Tea

Astringent, Caramelized Sugar, Carrot, Chrysanthemum, Juicy, Lemon, Malt, Mineral, Peach, Savory, Stewed Fruits, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Tangy, Thick, Dates, Pepper, Plum, Powdered Sugar, Smooth, Spices, Stonefruit, Winter Honey, Dried Fruit
Edit tea info Last updated by Courtney

• “This tea was surprise happy mail from dear derk! Thank you! I steeped this up for breakfast this morning, not really knowing what sort of profile I would find. The leaves were long, black, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “2022 harvest, a big pinch in a glass, grandpa. Sparkling, clean taste full of sweet potato, light malt-carrot savory sweetness, lemon tang and caramelized sugar. Mineral. Thick, juicy swallow...” Read full tasting note
  • “Happy belated New Year, Steepsterites! This one smells like it should have notes of cocoa but I mostly get sweet, dark malt, sweet potatoes, powdered sugar, and stone fruits – so sweet and deep but...” Read full tasting note
  • “A huge thank you to Martin for organising this order! Also my apologies for the long-winded note. The second paragraph is a story and the first paragraph is about the tea for anyone who may want to...” Read full tasting note

From Georgian Tea 1847

Georgian wild black tea is grown and plucked from tall tea bushes that grow wildly in the mountain forests of west Georgia, far away from civilzation and no human intecation. This type of tea can be only plucked by hand and once a year during first flush season.

Wild forests were created by old plantations from soviet uinon, that got abandoned for 30-50 years. During this time nature took over and created unique ecosystem, soil is enriched by forest and mountain water while tea plants are naturally shaded by tall trees, this conditions gives this tea unique aroma and characteristics and chemical content that are not present in other teas due to high content of pigments from natural forest shading.

5g/250 mL
95° C
5 minutes

Place of Origin

Imereti Region, Georgia

Altitude

700-800 m

Tasting notes

Light body Versatile taste: sweetness of honey, spicy notes and astringent bitterness Long aftertaste

About Georgian Tea 1847 View company

This tea was surprise happy mail from dear derk! Thank you!

I steeped this up for breakfast this morning, not really knowing what sort of profile I would find. The leaves were long, black, and twisted, lovely to look at. Would it be smoky, or chocolate-y like a Keemun? Or bready? Mineral?

First sniff had me hit with a wave of nostalgia. Sweet potato! A Southern Season! Golden Mudan? Ah, Yunnan Dian Hong Golden Tip! I have been out for so long!

The tea gives me impression of being light but then fills the mouth with what Graham Kerr called mouth-roundness. The clean, clear light amber/orange tea swirls thick flavors and you can’t help but swirl this one. No straight sipping here, this demands a swish and you deserve it, so go ahead.

With my food, no astringency was noted, though I see it in other notes. I made a second steep when food was gone.

Color is the same, aroma is the same. Now the sweet potato and roundness fill the mouth and after the swallow, there it is. A palate cleansing briskness. This is what keeps you reaching for more – a dryness that craves the full body of a new sip.

Many thanks, derk, and also many thanks to Martin who orchestrated the group buy! What a delightful treat this was today!

edit to add: Did a third steep. Still some sweet potato but now also earth and mineral notes come forward. It almost tastes like one of the last steeps of a fine shu puerh. So earthy.

Martin Bednář

It was a pleasure to make a group buy. I keep the contact for the vendor, as their website seems to be unavailable right now. I hope (and I think I am not only one), who hopes it is just a temporary problem.

ashmanra

Perhaps they are just waiting to restock!

2022 harvest, a big pinch in a glass, grandpa.

Sparkling, clean taste full of sweet potato, light malt-carrot savory sweetness, lemon tang and caramelized sugar. Mineral. Thick, juicy swallow gives way to finishing astringency which leaves the mouth tingling as a buttery baked peach note spreads in the aftertaste. Delicious!

Feeling: continental Europe, sunny early autumn, late afternoon, orange hues

Flavors: Astringent, Caramelized Sugar, Carrot, Chrysanthemum, Juicy, Lemon, Malt, Mineral, Peach, Savory, Stewed Fruits, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Tangy, Thick

Martin Bednář

I am trying it for first time right now and I agree with this note completely.

Happy belated New Year, Steepsterites!

This one smells like it should have notes of cocoa but I mostly get sweet, dark malt, sweet potatoes, powdered sugar, and stone fruits – so sweet and deep but not chocolate-y like some of the yunnan teas per se. Still, it’s delicious and I’m glad Martin facilitated bringing these Georgian teas to my (and everyone else’s) attention. Thank you! :)

Steep Count: 3 – Western Style. The third steep is where I start to pick up the powdered sugar; there’s even a hint of pepper and spice. It’s a thinner cup but packs a lot of flavour into it.

Flavors: Dates, Malt, Pepper, Plum, Powdered Sugar, Smooth, Spices, Stonefruit, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Tangy, Winter Honey

Courtney

This one really surprised me — so delightful!

CrowKettle

Yes, it’s wonderful! I’m still playing around with the steeping parameters to get the most out of it but it seems forgiving too :)

Martin Bednář

I am so happy you got to try so unusual terroir of tea and moreover, you are happy with their teas! Considering that it has started as a very wild idea, getting Georgian tea directly from Georgia, continued with complicated comunication with them and in the end getting all packages for you done, it was an amazing journey with lovely teas!

A huge thank you to Martin for organising this order!

Also my apologies for the long-winded note. The second paragraph is a story and the first paragraph is about the tea for anyone who may want to skip over anything!

I naturally ordered every black tea from this company and decided this morning was the perfect time to try one. I went to the website to ensure I got the parameters correct, but I did adjust them slightly — it just seemed like a lot of leaf (for me)! The dry leaf immediately made me think of Teavivre’s Bailin. The steeped scent also has vibes of that mixed with hints of honey sweetness akin to a Taiwanese WMB. The first few sips are really lovely. A medium-bodied tea with some (I’m not sure how to measure this: it’s more than subtle, but less than ). There’s a light sweetness at the end of the sip as well. As the tea cools, there are hints of cinnamon and the most subtle floral hints are coming through.

Also, we have a visiting fellow from Taiwan in our lab area and I had a brief chance ahead of the holidays to chat with him. We had a lovely chat about tea and he was so, so happy to hear that not only did I know the difference between Taiwan and China, but had knowledge of Taiwanese teas. I wanted to share since I’m sure many of you will also understand the difference between Taiwan and China (despite the political disputes) and I can’t describe how happy it made him for someone to not assume he was Chinese. I naturally passed on a few companies to him from the area and he said he’ll be checking them out when he’s back home next month.

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 11 OZ / 340 ML
ashmanra

Love the story! Thank you for sharing!

Martin Bednář

I am glad that the teas weren’t miss!

Very fragrant, fruity aroma like baked plums. Fairly light bodied with a little malt and sweet potato. Good but nothing special. Will have to play around with it to see if I can bring out the fruitiness from the aroma.

Flavors: Malt, Plum, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 2 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
Courtney

Love seeing some reviews from the Georgian tea!

Me too, Courtney :)
LuckyMe, you tried it western or gongfu? Seems like gongfu to me with steeping paramaters and Georgian teas are usually better with western steeping method.

LuckyMe

Martin, this was gongfu using 1g per 50ml. I agree, these Georgian teas are probably better suited to Western steeping as the short infusions don’t as much flavor.

First tea I’m trying out from the group order.

Very pleased with this! It smells SO fresh. I drank it pretty quickly as I was doing homework, so I can’t confidently comment on the notes, but it was so smooth and rich. Excited to keep trying these Georgian teas.

Martin Bednář

Yay! I haven’t tired it yet, but it seems it is really good based on that you drank it quickly :)