Honeycomb Chai

Chai Herbal Blend
Honey, Licorice
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From DAVIDsTEA

Even the busiest bees need a moment of indulgence. Enjoy a simply sweet honey taste and mouth-coating texture with notes of light ginger. Chai’s signature cinnamon accent boosts honey flavours, making this the queen bee of honey teas. Manuka honey helps soothe colds and skin so you can feel your best even on the coldest days.

What makes it great

Manuka honey is often used for fighting colds, soothing sore throats and skincare.

The cinnamon finish boosts honey flavours.

Sticky sweet taste without the gooey fingers.

How it tastes
A sweet and warming chai with gooey honey, light ginger and notes of cinnamon

Apple (apple, citric acid), Liquorice, Ginger, Rosehip peel, Candied ginger, Cinnamon, Natural (manuka honey, ginger) flavouring, Manuka honey (manuka honey, maltodextrin), Lemon peel, Clove, Mallow blossom, Marigold blossom.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really wanted to like this tea, because I love honey and chai, but it tasted too strongly of licorice for me to enjoy it. I tried it both hot steeped and as a hot latte with one pump of vanilla syrup.

Flavors: Honey, Licorice

Ohhh so gross! Couldn’t taste anything but the licorice and tossed the rest as so horrible!

(DavidsTea 164)

Another tea I shouldn’t be drinking, this time because of licorice. :/ At least in this case, that will be easy to achieve because I really did not care for this one. I made it into a latte and even then, it was way too sweet from the licorice, honey, and other spices, and I just didn’t like the flavour combination. Too bad, because the name sounds really appealing!

Another new one from the Autumn Subscription box!

Honey flavouring is really, really hit or miss for me – there are DT blends that I’ve loved it in (like Honey Drop) and others where I’ve found it way too heavy handed (like Honey Lullaby). However, even though I much prefer a “cream honey” or darker more buckwheat style honey, I feel like this blend has found the right balance in terms of the level of the honey flavouring. It’s clear and sweet but, at least for my taste preferences, not too sweet. With that said, I still kind of go back and forth on whether I love the blend as a whole…

We all know that I’m fickle when it comes to Chai in general, and I personally am way over that very “red hot” style of cinnamon that is present in blends like Cinnamon Rooibos Chai, Cinnamon Bun Chai, and Glitter Chai. I know that many, many people enjoy it – and admittedly so do I at spaced out intervals – but I also find that it really swallows up flavours and can quickly get too strong. For me, that’s the main spice in this blend and it even kind of drowns out the ginger to me – and that’s a spice that usually sticks out like a sort thumb in most blends for me. So, I feel this “push and pull” between my love of the honey flavouring used and just being a little tired of this type of cinnamon note.

Aside from that, it’s a pretty fruity chai all things considered – and that makes sense to me composition-wise because it’s herbal and you need some type of “base” herbal ingredient. However, I just feel like the added sweetness of the apple on top of the honey and the sweet cinnamon is… maybe a bit much?? Like, I would have preferred something like a black tea base with more body to it – though that defeats the purpose of having more caffeine free chai options, I suppose.

All of this is, of course, subjective and personal preference. As much as I might love black tea someone else out there is probably thinking “I’m so glad they didn’t make another black chai blend”, just like how someone else might think “Wow this is too much honey” or someone else “This should be sweeter for a honey inspired blend”. It’s so hard to find something that works for everyone, and I think that this is just a really tricky type of profile because you have to take a big swing in a flavour direction because the middle ground is just gonna be flat/boring.

Idk – all just stuff that pops into my head when I drink this blend…