Salted Caramel Oolong

Oolong Tea
Brown Sugar, Caramel, Pleasantly Sour, Spices, Sweet, Sugar, Apple, Pineapple, Toast, Salt, Salty, Butter, Butterscotch, Cream, Molasses
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From DAVIDsTEA

We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to bring you this much-requested perfectly sweet sweater-weather flavour. Experience a rich & creamy blend flooded with real golden caramel bits, rightly rolled & slightly toasted oolong, plus a smattering of oversized sugar cubes. Sip now, love forever.

What makes it great

This rich honey-coloured blend has the perfect balance of sweet & salted caramel.

The smooth & toasty oolong makes a great base for this rich blend.

Salted caramel is a trending flavour profile.

Sweet, rich & creamy with a hint of fruitiness to support the caramel flavour

Oolong tea, Caramel bits (sugar, condensed milk, glucose syrup, whole milk powder), Sugar crystals, Pineapple (pineapple, sugar, citric acid), Carob, Chicory Root, Artificial caramel flavouring, Salt.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Taking a break from Black blends for a moment in the sipdown. Thought an oolong blend would be a good way to do that. I have tried Salted Caramel Oolong from DAVIDsTea a couple different times, once as a latte and another straight.

Preparation: Western
Tasting Note:
So initially I get this sweet and creamy, cinnamon-y flavor that is pretty close to caramel. Then I get hit with the aftertaste which is this spicy, slightly umami signature of some oolongs, which feels a little strange choice for salted caramel but it works. Also, I finally pick up on the pineapple which leaves a little sour taste. I think my issue with this tea is not the individual flavors but their overall combination together in a tea. I like the spice of the oolong but not with the pineapple. I like caramel and sweets but maybe not with this tea.

I think since I am pretty close to finishing this bag, I will try a really short steep and see how it goes.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Pleasantly Sour, Spices

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp

sweet and sugary! will think if i like this more than the other salted caramel i have. maybe WRP with sale

I have mixed feelings toward this blend. I’ve had it a few times, several months apart each time. It’s definitely best for a morning where you feel like having dessert for breakfast because it is all caps SWEET. The smell is overwhelming and the flavor can quickly get there; I’ve had more balanced and less balanced cups. I won’t shy away from it if it comes in a pack (as it did in this case) but I don’t think I’d purchase it on its own.

Flavors: Caramel, Sweet

The first 2 oz envelope of this tea that I bought was fairly good and tasted like salted caramel. The current envelope that I have is very sweet and really doesn’t taste like actual caramels. The tea has no personality! Not ordering it again.

Flavors: Sugar

I’ve sampled this a few times, trying to justify why I bought so much of it. I had really high hopes after reading others’ reviews, but didn’t really like my hot cups of tea or the one latte I made. Last night, due to the summer heat, I packed a tea ball full of leaves and tried an overnight cold brew – I think I’m on to something. I’ll probably continue to cold brew this tea in the future, but still not sure I love it enough to restock my cupboard once I run out.

Flavors: Caramel

Iced 8 min or more 5 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

(DavidsTea 62)

Second tea for National Fragrance Day! Another one I really love and have stocked up on. I don’t think that this particular version of salted caramel oolong is the best I’ve had – that honour lies with one of the other two I’ve had (couldn’t tell you which, though). In part, it’s the added sugar that detracts a bit here. However, it’s still incredibly satisfying and delicious – wonderful oolong base, lovely rich caramel flavour. I really like it quite a lot. Oh – and it smells amazing.

Got this one at the behest of a lowered shipping rate and as a personal quest item.

I love oolongs-I love caramel-and I’ve enjoyed sachets for work, and the ingredients were interesting to me. I also want to thank Roswell Strange for a good opening note on this one to give me an idea of it.

It’s definitely artificial and cakey in its caramel vanilla smell, but the taste was actually enjoyable for me straight. It’s not too far off from a medium roasted oolong, but sweeter. The pineapple and carob (or is it chicory?)combo was a weird one that actually worked for me-the carob thickened up the body of the caramel so it would not taste like a diabetics suicidal wet dream. I should know, since I am -a diabetic.

I was surprised at how much oolong I actually tasted. It’s not strong, but the oolongs own buttery notes thickens the caramel and adds viscosity to the tea. It’s got some malt too from the caramel flavoring, but it’s a medium to thinner tea overall with THICC flavor.

I actually returned to this one a few times. It is good with just a small amount of sugar, and it can be good with the right honey-but honey can overwhelm the tea itself and the vanilla added with the caramel. I personally think that black teas are the way to go for caramel if it’s the right kind of black tea, especially a Yunnan or Fujian one, but I am pleased that they did this with a greener oolong since I think that helps nail the texture right.

I still prefer my naturally scented jasmines, Earl Greys, and loose blacks, but I am really pleased with this one. I’ve yet to have a tea that has been this close to nailing a caramel I like, and most others I’ve had either over or under do the caramel. This one is almost right, and there is no doubting it’s flavor.

I had to break isolation and go all the way into the city because the damn library wouldn’t let me renew my book anymore, so I decided to swing around to the only DAVIDsTEA still open in my region and pick up a few things I’d been eyeing.

I noticed they were bringing back a few old blends online-only as well. Hmmm. Maybe.

Overshot the steeping time on this one, but it didn’t turn out bitter, although the roast of the oolong may have gotten a bit sour. I mistook the giant sugar crystals in the mix for salt and kind of made a face at the dry tea, but it’s definitely not salty. Perhaps just enough to enhance the caramel, but nothing more. The pineapple adds to the acidic apple taste, definitely settling this more in the ‘fruit tea feel’ for me. ‘Kind of drying, a bit watery, steeped fruit pieces’ slightly lacking that body I like with more ‘tea’. I would have liked to taste this blend without the addition of the pineapple, to see how it stands.

Otherwise, the caramel is present, creamy, enhanced and lingers into the aftertaste. The roast of the oolong adds to the ‘sea salt’, but otherwise doesn’t overwhelm or interact badly with the added flavours. The oolong they use is… very small. Definitely not whole leaves, confirmed once they expanded in my strainer… Basically tattered shreds. It doesn’t take away from the tea (smaller tea fragments probably held the flavouring better), although definitely results in a darker brew (medium-deep amber).

In the end, it’s not a love or a hate—it sits in the same park as the Maple Syrup Oolong for me. Most of DAVIDsTEA’s flavoured oolongs kind of occupy that zone… The fruit bits detract a bit from the taste. But this definitely tastes like caramel, helped along by the dissolved sugar and caramel bits, I’m sure, heh.

Flavors: Apple, Caramel, Pineapple, Pleasantly Sour, Toast

190 °F / 87 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I made this as a latte. I put 4 perfect spoons of this blend to make a super concentrated tea and frothed up some milk to pour on top of it. I think with the milk it tastes better because it subdues the saltiness and caramel notes of this blend. It makes it into a creamy, slightly salty, oolong latte. However, I do not think I will repurchase this tea again due to its strong artificial taste.

Flavors: Caramel, Salt

Cameron B.

I often have trouble with caramel-flavored things tasting artificial, too. :(

Courtney

I feel like I often get intrigued by David’s blends, then see the artificial flavouring in the ingredients and steer clear. There are so many teas with natural flavouring that do such a great job instead. It’s such a shame though!

Silent Kettle

Yes! I can 100% relate to this. I am not sure if DT has changed, but I remember before, their teas did not taste as fake/artificial or loaded with stevia. They were pleasant and natural tasting despite being creative blends. But they do still have some good blends!

I agree; I think I get wrapped up in the allure of DT, but every time I have tried most of their teas, I have been left unsatisfied.

Silent Kettle

I think I prefer when tea companies just use brown sugar etc. to mimic the taste of caramel instead. It makes it a more enjoyable experience.

Cameron B.

I’m the same way with DT, I generally only order teaware from them now. There have been some in the past that I’ve enjoyed, but most have been disappointing for me. But the new ones do sound good! :P

Silent Kettle

Yes! I want to get their nordic mugs (since I haven’t been able to locate a 16 oz mug anywhere, lol!) But this will probably be my last tea order. And I will look at your reviews to see how you felt about their new releases!

Another new tea! I had pretty high expectations for this , as I’ve been searching for my ultimate caramel tea and I prefer oolongs. I under-leafed it, but it’s still so tasty! Really smooth, creamy caramel flavor that works extremely well with the oolong. Not getting any saltiness, but that may be because of the ratio of ingredients I got in my mug. I’ll be getting more of this one when it’s restocked.

Silent Kettle

I want to try this one again so badly! I got it in my “sweet indulgence” box. But every time I go on the Canadian website, it is nowhere to be seen, or else I would order 100 grams of it, lol. So glad you enjoyed this one too. I also like their maple syrup oolong, have you tried that one yet?

amandastory516

Hopefully they restock it soon! It’s quite tasty.
I’ve tried Maple Syrup Oolong, and the stevia was a bit too strong for me.

Mastress Alita

This sold out so fast on the American site and never was restocked, only put in advents/gift boxes. Boo.

Silent Kettle

Sometimes the salt particles can fall to the bottom. Maybe try shaking the bag? I did that, but it made it almost too salty >.<