Candy Cane Matcha

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
10 oz / 295 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

How it tastes
Creamy and not overly sweet, with a strong cooling note from the peppermint

Festive peppermint treat. With its blend of energizing finely ground green tea and cane sugar, this flavoured matcha powder is refreshingly creamy and sweet, with a peppermint finish cooler than the North Pole. Sip it straight-up or as a holiday green tea latte topped with whipped cream and crushed candy cane pieces.

Cane sugar, Matcha green tea, Natural candy cane flavouring, Milk powder.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

The mint comes off a little murky. There are candy cane elements appearing, but I would have enjoyed a more fresh, clear vision of it. Maybe I just didn’t love the way the mint combined with the matcha itself. I added some whipped cream, and that lightened it up and made it more enjoyable.

So creamy and minty. I have had this in every way and love it. Even added chocolate drink syrup and it goes well anyway

Merry Christmas to all my Steepster friends who celebrate!

Though I don’t observe, I do have the day off work with everyone else and wanted to spend the day sipping on some festively flavored teas. When I was looking through my spreadsheet and saw this I went, “Oh ya, I don’t have to make a smoothie out of all those matchas, I could just, you know, make a matcha latte!” What a concept, right?!

Whisked up 1 tsp of this with 1 cup plain oat milk in the milk frother. It integrated nicely and had a decent layer of foam, which I topped with a pulverized candy cane I got from work. Smells very sweet and minty!

Ah, I think this is the “creamy” element I was just craving last night but missing from the Plum Deluxe herbal… it has a brisk and refreshing peppermint taste, a strong sweetness, but because of the milk, a thick and satisfying creaminess that somehow just makes “sweet” + “mint” work so well for me. This is hitting the spot! I’m not tasting the matcha itself, but considering I didn’t use any water in my prep method and added an extra coating of sugar on top, I’m not surprised… but I’m still happy with how it turned out. It’s like having a peppermint cocoa, with the chocolate missing. (Hmm, maybe I’ll toss a little cocoa powder in with my next cup? Because that sounds nice too…)

Flavors: Candy, Creamy, Mint, Peppermint, Sweet

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Happy belated Festivus! And I hope you’re having a lovely day off! ❤

derk

Thank you, and a happy belated Festivus from me, too :)

Thank you! <3

DAVIDsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 24

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

The last day of advent calendars has come… I have mixed emotions, sad because it has been fun to open those festive doors every day and get tea surprises, but also relieved because with my new spreadsheet it’ll be nice to be able to get a lot of sipdowns in!

I was excited to see this flavor, as I tend to love candy cane teas. I prepared it au lait with 8 ounces of warm water and 4 ounces of warm milk.

It’s very yummy, though a bit weaker than I expected. It has a fresh and very candy cane-like peppermint flavor as well as a bit of creamy vanilla. I don’t mind the sweetness in a flavor like this, it makes sense since candy canes are obviously sweet. I can also taste the vegetal matcha in the background, which is nice. I really like that the flavoring here isn’t as overpowering as some of the other flavors were.

As for the DAVIDsTEA matcha advent overall, it was fun to try. I love the design of it, with all of the asymmetrical little drawers to pull out instead of folding doors. And the flavors were certainly interesting, I liked a few of them. I will say, I thought the matcha chocolates were a letdown, as they mostly just tasted like plain chocolate to me. The gummies were yummy, but mostly just tasted like peach without much matcha flavor. I wouldn’t do this advent again, just because I didn’t really like how sweet the mixes were, but I would recommend it to someone who likes sweetened matcha! It is a little bit pricey at $65 though.

So the last spread from Bonne Maman is plain Honey. I don’t understand why they saved it for the last one instead of doing perhaps the spiced cherry one. But I do like honey, so am perfectly happy to have this one my toast this morning. This has a nice soft floral note that makes me think it’s wildflower honey. Sweet and sticky rich honey goodness!

This is one of my favorite advents and one that I would do every year. The flavors are usually mostly different, as they’re almost all exclusive to the calendar. There was a good range of flavors and I really enjoyed almost all of them, the only exception being the marmalades, which I just don’t like in general. Would definitely recommend!

(today’s advent teas: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJMA9FugSnn/)

Flavors: Candy, Creamy, Grass, Peppermint, Spinach, Sweet, Vanilla, Vegetal

3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
VariaTEA

I liked it because they were sweet (well not peach which was overly sweet) but agree the treats were a let down. I also liked the drawers. I had one calendar that was the more classic doors version and I found it ripped a bit.

Cameron B.

Yeah, the doors can definitely rip. I had a hard time with the Kusmi one because the spaces between doors was too thin, so sometimes the door would just rip all of the way off… XD

VariaTEA

That was my issue with the Kenneth Ave calendar!

Courtney

We will definitely be getting the jam advent next year (well, if it’s vegan and only contains pectin, no gelatin of course)!

Cameron B.

Looking at the ingredients, it looks like they all just have pectin. I think the honey would be the only non-vegan one.

Courtney

Yay! That’s perfect. :) Thanks for checking!

I had a lot of fun with the bon maman calendar this year too. I think they ended with honey because it wasn’t jam? haha

Martin Bednář

Ending with not jam, because it isn’t jam? Not my jam, in jam advent. Haha…
Anyway, it was fun to read your tasting notes Cameron. For both, jams and teas. I won’t get a jam calendar as it isn’t my thing, but nice to know they exist.

DAVIDsTEA Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 24

I can’t believe its the last day of advents already! This flavor makes sense for today seeing its arguably the most festive in the bunch (with the exception of Gingerbread Matcha that is equally as festive). In fact, this is such a festive flavor that I have two Candy Cane teas today.

I like this one. It’s honestly spot on for peppermint candy canes. Vanilla sweetness and minty, without being overly menthol.

Adventaggedon Day 24 – Tea 2/6

Called this one from the start – there was just no way that the last day wasn’t going to be either this matcha or Gingerbread, and Gingerbread showed up very early in the advent, so…

I have a love hate relationship with this matcha – I just don’t really love mint flavours in most of my matchas, but it’s quite nice as a latte and I was especially feeling the festive spirit today so it was probably one of the best days for it to show up waiting to be steeped! I made it as an eggnog latte, with crushed candy cane sprinkled on top, and it was so perfectly festive and indulgent. Very, very rich/sweet too. The eggnog masked a lot of the mint, but enough still came through that I got the candy cane aspect of the tea still!!

It was really fun doing this advent – to be completely honest I had way more fun with it than I did the regular LLT advent that I did last year. Perhaps that’s because I just seem to love the majority of DT’s matcha flavours. I’d definitely consider doing it again next year if it’s brought back (definitely not a decision I’ll have any part of) though my concern would be that a lot of the teas might be the same/similar because there will not be 25+ new matchas flavours to load up the advent next year. Well, actually, I guess I probably shouldn’t say that as a fact/statement – just because I work in R&D does not mean I know everything. It doesn’t track with the amount of matcha flavours that have historically been released in a new year, though.

I would really like some new Christmas Matcha options other than Gingerbread/Candy Cane though – even though I like both of them well enough they aren’t my favourite matcha flavour profiles. Would holiday matchas would y’all want? I’m not above outsourcing ideas if it results in new matchas, haha.

Advent Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJM0NCOgiTR/

Mastress Alita

Something like B&B’s Nordic Berry, with a piney/juniper flavor paired with a tart cranberry-esque berry note!

Roswell Strange

I’d love a Cranberry Matcha! Sometimes you want something festive but not “heavy” so that brightness/tartness could be so nice. Not sure how that juniper flavour would go over, but I’d personally be ALL FOR that. I think the only tea DT has done with a strong juniper flavour that’s worked long term, though, has been Cold 911.

Mastress Alita

It makes me sad the lack of love for the humble juniper berry in tea blends in general. I’m crazy for it!

Roswell Strange

Me too – the pine-y flavour is so distinct and unique, and it adds such a nice botanical/forest-y feel to tea blends. Whenever I find a juniper tea I often crush them before steeping to maximize the flavour.

Martin Bednář

Juniper berry matcha? Although I am not avid matcha lover, this sounds like an interesting taste. I can’t pick up any idea of matcha now though.

This is so yummy as an iced matcha latte! The peppermint flavor is light though, I wish it were stronger, but still pretty tasty!

TreeGal

I received a gift of this, and am curious how you do the iced matcha latte? I’m not a matcha drinker, so looking for tips! Thanks!