Lost Maples - Medium Roast

Herbal Tea
Baked Bread, Herbaceous, Maple, Pleasantly Sour, Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Grass, Hay, Toasted, Drying, Sugarcane, Sweet, Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “A tea I have received from White Antlers. Thank you! As I know from my last Yaupon experience, it is a caffeine booster. Lots of energy boost. And I was somehow tired when I was choosing today...” Read full tasting note
  • “A lighter-tasting yaupon. Has a bit of delicate autumn leaf taste, and a good deal of faintly burnt sugar/caramel. Very drinkable and not too heavy on the caffeine.” Read full tasting note
  • “Tried in teabag form— will try the loose leaf form later. I quite like this so far. The best part is the scents the liquor gives off. It’s more floral than Catspring’s Marfa dark roast blend, and I...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is a bit greener than the dark roast, and it has more of a wet wood feel to it. The sweetness is alike cane sugar, and it comes with a bit of astringency; however, it is still quite smooth...” Read full tasting note

From CatSpring Yaupon

Smooth and mild, our medium roast yaupon is inspired by Lost Maples, a forest unlike any other in Texas. In the fall, the bigtooth maples along the Sabinal river, left over from the last Ice Age, don a magnificent array of colors echoed by the caramel notes in every cup.

About CatSpring Yaupon View company

A tea I have received from White Antlers. Thank you!

As I know from my last Yaupon experience, it is a caffeine booster. Lots of energy boost. And I was somehow tired when I was choosing today afternoon cuppa; probably due to morning cleaning up the car from snow (around 25 cm of snow, and it’s snowing again!) and overall I was cleaning up the footpath a bit as well our yard paths.

Anyway, as there is a lockdown, and I have lots of exams and everything, I do not do any inventory checks and I was saving the tea bag of this to some. I am afraid I won’t go there anymore — mostly because I just want to find a job right after finishing the university. We will see.

Anyway to this cup. Roasted yaupon sounded somehow a tiny bit better than a green variety, and Lost Maples Park is another place I have saved as would like to visit one day. I was expecting a bit of the maple flavour and I think it’s there actually. As well baked bread as others were writing about. That’s not all! It was kind of pleasantly sour and herbal, which was a bit confusing. It was enjoyable though and I liked it more than classical one.

I have tried to place an order and actually it would work for me! Shipping of their multipack of tea bags for almost same price as the mulitpack is a no for me right now though. Maybe one day!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Herbaceous, Maple, Pleasantly Sour

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 300 ML
White Antlers

So very happy that this tea was a pleasant one, Martin. Sounds like a good treat after shoveling snow. : )

ashmanra

Snow! How fun! Just grey and dreary here all day. I am glad you are enjoying a great tea with your snow!

gmathis

This sounds delicious, snow or no snow.

Martin Bednář

Well, I couldn’t sleep till 11 pm maybe? It is indeed energy boosting.

They wrote me an email, saying, if I want to finish my order, they offer me a free shipping. If I have only spare 20 bucks :( !

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 13 OZ / 384 ML
Cameron B.

I’ve never tried yaupon, but I am intrigued. Plus a lot of it seems to be native to Texas, which is where I am! I might have to pick up the Catspring sampler pack…

Avery F.

Yeah, I liked the Catspring ones better than some of the others I’ve tried. I’m not sure how consistent the flavour is, since there isn’t as much detailed attention given to how the yaupon is grown and processed as there is for a lot of tea, but all the roasts I’ve tried from this company have been good. It would be really neat to harvest and roast the yaupon personally, to experiment with it, but it doesn’t grow in my area.

Cameron B.

That does sound fun! I should really try that with hojicha…

Tried in teabag form— will try the loose leaf form later.
I quite like this so far. The best part is the scents the liquor gives off. It’s more floral than Catspring’s Marfa dark roast blend, and I do get a faint note of maple/ caramel as well. It’s a nice balance of toasty and green, kind of like an oolong, but nowhere near as high maintenance to steep. I left the bag in the water for ages and it didn’t oversteep at all.
Notes of toasted bread, grass, and hay in the sip. Not smoky or tannic at all.
Yum!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Grass, Hay, Toasted

This one is a bit greener than the dark roast, and it has more of a wet wood feel to it. The sweetness is alike cane sugar, and it comes with a bit of astringency; however, it is still quite smooth and easy to drink. I enjoy the buzz yaupon gives me.

Available in 2 ounce loose leaf and individually wrapped yaupon pouches (our take on the tea bag).

Flavors: Drying, Hay, Sugarcane, Sweet, Wood