Marfa - Dark Roast Yaupon

Herbal Tea
Burnt, Coffee, Earth, Molasses, Roasted Nuts, Roasty, Toast, Walnut, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Bread, Honey, Raisins, Earthy, Roasted, Smoked, Woody, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Hay, Herbaceous, Sugar, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 361 ml

2 Images

From CatSpring Yaupon

Elegant and sophisticated, our traditional dark roast yaupon pays homage to the iconic West-Texas town of Marfa, where art & creativity converge. Naturally sweet and smooth, it’s a perfect balance, hot or iced, and tastes like a black tea.

About CatSpring Yaupon View company

For the sipdown prompt, “a tea that reminds you of a family member.” Both my mom and sister are coffee drinkers rather than tea drinkers, and deep, roasty notes in tea remind me of the flavor of coffee.

This is noticably more roasty than the medium roast, which had a sweeter, caramel note. There is still some sweetness here, though it is more of a dark molasses. The woody notes are most strong here, and the darker roast brings out a stronger coffee and burnt toast presence as well. The nuttiness is more earthy; I got honey-roasted nuts from the medium roast, and I’m getting roasted walnuts or chestnuts from this one. Of all three of the Catspring Yaupon, this one tastes the least of grass/hay… I don’t really taste that flavor at all.

I liked all three of the Catspring Yaupon varieties! I found less difference between the plain yaupon and the medium roast, and more of a noticable difference in the dark roast. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite of the three, but probably the dark roast, for that deep and satisfying coffee-like flavor.

Flavors: Burnt, Coffee, Earth, Molasses, Roasted Nuts, Roasty, Toast, Walnut, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML

Lighter and sweeter than some dark roasts, and with less of a bitter bite. It’s very similar to the medium roast from this same company, but perhaps a bit fuller and a bit less sweet.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Caramel

Earthy. Solid. Energizing. Self-Reliant. Perfection.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Earthy, Roasted, Smoked, Woody

I rarely use teabags. In fact, I can’t remember the last time that I did, but this was good. It tastes like roasted yerba mate, but it has slight undertones of dark cocoa and a stevia sweetness. I can’t be super specific or drawn out on this note, but I liked this tea. It gave me a nice buzz as well. :)

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Hay, Herbaceous, Roasted, Sugar, Sweet