Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Good 2019 Not Xigui Raw Puer

Edit tea info Last updated by TJ Elite
195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 2 oz / 50 ml

10 Images

From Bitterleaf Teas

Sometimes it’s best not to oversell something. At some point, everybody has been disappointed by expectations, set up by grand claims and promises.

Initially described to us as a “Xigui-esque gushu” tea, this tea performs remarkably well for an impersonator. If you want true Xigui, then a bigger budget is necessary. But for the rest of us, this is the tea that will make your head nod.

This tea checks all the boxes: High fragrance, lingering sweetness, excellent mouthfeel, noticeable energy/body feeling, and a price that puts it in the upper budget/lower midrange category.

If you’re considering a cake of this tea, then we strongly recommend doubling up so that you have one to drink now and one for down the road.

Picking period: Pre-April 3

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

Another Gongfu session from yesterday.

So this tea is very, very young and I also gave it no time to rest after receiving it in the mail; so with that in mind take my thoughts with a grain of salt – this tea is definitely going to change a lot with time. I was just so excited and hyped up about having new teas that I wanted to drink something from my recent BLT haul right away and TheWeekendSessions was also steeping this one yesterday so I figured this seemed as good an option as any tea, especially because we’d be able to compare notes!

For once, since I was trying to match his session, I actually measured the amount of leaf I was using – often I just eyeball it and trust that I know my weights enough to be pretty spot on with what I’m intending (one of the cool skills I picked up from working in store for DT is a pretty damn accurate judge of grams, just from muscle memory). So, this was 3.5g of tea in a 50ml gaiwan – with water just below a boil.

Instagram thoughts:

Simple, sweet stonefruit notes early on; pleasant but mellow. I want more; either more brightness or a denser, sweeter stonefruit. Those fruit notes give way to more of a bitter, green quality and tame astringency. I had one oddball infusion that tasted like a sort of resin-y maple to me, but aside from that outlier steep I found later steeps to have a more bitter tree sap and wood taste, with a smidge of peppery spice. I wish any and all of the present notes had more intensity though. Not terrible, not amazing: somewhere in between those two things.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzRM6EIgudU/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHb24Nte3is&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=15&t=0s

195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML