Gingerbread Chai

Chai Rooibos Blend
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Flavor, Ginger, Mallow Flowers, Red Rooibos, Vanilla Pieces
Allspice, Clove, Ginger, Rooibos, Spices, Vanilla, Cake, Cinnamon, Sweet, Cookie, Spicy, Wood, Almond, Caramel, Cherry, Fruity, Marzipan, Molasses, Cardamom, Cream, Marshmallow, Nutty
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Advent Calendar 2021: Day 16! I waaay over-steeped this tea bag because I got distracted by (1) the mail carrier’s arrival and my subsequent need to keep my pups from noticing his...” Read full tasting note
  • “This came as a sample in a holiday gift Lexa ordered for me (I guess I’ll have new tea under the tree this year :P). The dry sachet smells intensely of ginger. The steeped tea smells a bit nicer...” Read full tasting note
  • “A sweet friend sent me Bird & Blend’s Christmas gift set and by exercising remarkable self-control, I managed to save it for a special treat on my vacation last week. This one was worth the...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Gingerbread Chai is one of the first blends we created and truly is one of our most loved teas – our hero chai blend! We’re super excited to share with you the revamped recipe with a flavour balance more in keeping with our signature Gingerbread latte – with those gorgeous brandy snap flavour notes. Originally inspired by our Nordic neighbours and their love for all things gingerbread – which we share! Our award-winning, spiced Gingerbread Chai has a rooibos base; with the delicious tastes of cinnamon, ginger and cardamom, it’s the perfect warm treat.

This tea cupboard staple gives us a little taste of Christmas all year round.

Rooibos, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, mallow flowers, flavour.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It seems odd to be pleased about that, because I do love this tea. It’s the best gingerbread tea I’ve tried, with a good kick of spice and delicious “Jamaica ginger cake-esque” cake flavour. A real treat. I think the novelty has worn off for the moment, though, and I could do with a rest from this one. As it’s now nearly summer (sort of, anyway), I guess that makes sense! Hopefully I’ll come back to this one refreshed at the end of the year, but for now it’s almost goodbye.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Bird & Blend Advent Calendar 2021: Day 16!

I waaay over-steeped this tea bag because I got distracted by (1) the mail carrier’s arrival and my subsequent need to keep my pups from noticing his approach by plying them with treats, and (2) reading reviews of today’s 52Teas holiday blend here on Steepster. :D I’m very excited to try that one later today—it smells incredible!—but for now I’m sticking to the B&B advent blend because my stomach is slightly unhappy, and the gingerbread chai spices seem more appealing at the moment.

Anyway! My partner sniffed the dry tea bag and made a face. After looking at the ingredient list, he realized he’s probably not a fan of rooibos. An interesting discovery! Something to keep in mind for any future joint tea-drinking experiences. I personally like rooibos, so I’m fine with it as the base for this one.

Brewed, I’m not getting a super strong scent of spices. It’s just sort of rooibos-y with some muted ginger and clove (??) and a bit of vanilla. Taste-wise… wow, the ginger is strong! Which is not the worst thing for my unhappy tum, but maybe not the best thing if you want a more balanced blend of spices. As it cools, I’m getting a little more vanilla and noticing more of the rooibos base, along with a tiny bit of creaminess from the mallow flowers. The ginger is still really strong; I’m not noticing much of the cinnamon or cardamom but I am getting a hint of allspice, even though that’s not listed in the ingredients.

I think this would be better described as a ginger chai, as I’m not getting the fuller mouthfeel I’d expect from gingerBREAD. It’s decent, although I can’t see myself craving it in the future.

Flavors: Allspice, Clove, Ginger, Rooibos, Spices, Vanilla

The dry sachet smells intensely of ginger. The steeped tea smells a bit nicer to me with ginger still being the dominant note, but some other spices and maybe a hint of what I can consider a tea-ified gingerbread cookie.

Drinking this hot and the ginger is much more muted in the drink, which is nice, but I can’t decipher any of the other ingredients. I am enjoying this tea, but I couldn’t tell you why haha. On the upside, I actually forgot this was a rooibos base at all, which is an excellent thing. What a fascinating experience!

Lex just tasted my cup and despised it haha!

As the tea cooled, it became more and more almost perfumily ginger. I actually ended up dumping the last of my cup. No thank you.

Cameron B.

Oh no! Well at least it was only a single sachet. ;)

Courtney

Very true!And still always happy to try out anything new — it’s never a bad thing to not have so much tea to order XD.

AJRimmer

This is one that I got as a sample sachet in a previous order, and I liked it so much that I ordered a huge tin of it the next time. Unfortunately, I no longer loved it quite so much, so that wasn’t the most fun to finish.

tea-sipper

Oh I LOVE this one, but ginger is one of my hated ingredients, so that’s weird.

Courtney

That is bizarre!

A sweet friend sent me Bird & Blend’s Christmas gift set and by exercising remarkable self-control, I managed to save it for a special treat on my vacation last week. This one was worth the wait! I’ll have to do a side-by-side comparison at some point, but this blend may have topped Market Spice’s Gingerbread Rooibos as my very favorite gingerbread tea. The balance of spices is just the right combination of sweet and spicy and with a splash of milk, a mug of this feels just as indulgent as eating a gingerbread cookie. I’m already almost through my 1oz sample and will definitely be re-purchasing!

Flavors: Cake, Cinnamon, Ginger, Spices, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
tea-sipper

It’s a good tea. I hope you had a lovely vacation!

Inkling

I did, thanks! Escaped the snow in Wisconsin for a sunny weekend in Dallas. :)

That sounds fantastic. :D

I enjoyed the spice blend of this one, but I made the mistake of leaving it overnight and it just tasted bad in the morning, which I’ve come to expect from rooibos/honeybush. So most of that cup was dumped. I think it might make a nice latte though?

4 grams of blend / 300 ml water, grandpa.

While dry it really gets me into Christmas season. Well, it is just around the corner and more over yesterday, when I was doing another inventory check (in my hometown! – so I was back home soon) I was counting Christmas wrapping papers (rolls) and Christmas greeting cards. It was kind of fun, as I was doing it with my friend.

I have to say that aroma of dry leaf was not really appealing, but when brewed, it filled whole living room. Ginger mostly, followed by cinnamon.

In taste it is mellow and then the fire comes! It is maybe too strong of ginger. It is nice, kind of christmas cookies – but well quite spicy for me. Maybe brewing it grandpa wasn’t most clever thing.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cookie, Ginger, Spicy

200 °F / 93 °C 4 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Mastress Alita

This one was too spicy for me, too.

I have more of this one. I thought it was about gone, but there is enough for maybe 5 more cups. That’s nice, because this is a nice choice for a chilly evening. The weather has been amazingly spring-like for the last week, but last night was windy, so my aparmtent was cooler than usual. Perfect for a cup of tea. I drank about half the cup when my brother called. WE ended up tlaking for nearly an hour and I when I came back to this is was cold. I finished it, and realized that this would be a nice cold brew.

This was a free sample from my order. I made it at a hotel using their lobby hot water, which turned out to not be very hot. Even so, I’m enjoying the flavor. It’s lightly sweet and honestly I do kind of get a cookie feeling from it. The ginger is pleasantly spicy. I bet this would be great with milk too. I usually find chai to be pretty boring, but I’d consider buying more of this one.

I kinda really like this. Being a rooibos based tisane, I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. It has a nice ginger zing to it that overpowers any rooibos taste and leaves a fun ginger tingle in the finish. Doesn’t leave my mouth exceptionally dry either, which is a trait I find in many rooibos blends. If it weren’t for the huge shipping fee, I’d consider keeping this one in stock because it’s been a nice flavorful cup to reach for in the evenings. Guess that puts this in the melancholy sipdown category.

Sara sent me some teas instead of trashing them. :)

Mmm, it smells like ginger. And the taste… wow, there’s a punch in the face of some kind of flavor. Wow, I think that’s the ginger. I kind of like it. It actually burns my throat a bit going down. I wonder how it would be with a little vanilla almond milk.

Okay, with a little almond milk the burn is less. But it’s difficult to pick out any notes beyond ginger. Since this is a chai, I was hoping for a little more balance between the various spices that are typical in a chai. It’s not unpleasant, but it just tastes like a ginger tea to me.

When I was searching for this tea to review, I saw that Tea Chai Te also has a gingerbread chai. Now I want to try it.

Flavors: Ginger

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

It’s surprising how strong the chai is when it really smells so unassuming.