Assam Black Tea, Flavor, Lapsang Souchong, Yunnan Black Tea
Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Smoke, Toffee, Vanilla, Cherry, Brown Sugar, Malt, Molasses, Sweet, Tobacco, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Random

3 Images

From August Uncommon Tea

Elegant black tea with burnt toffee notes

This is a potent blend of black teas with burnt toffee notes. It’s a powerful breakfast tea for those who enjoy smoky sweetness. Try it with milk to get a fantastic crème brûlée flavor. Ice it for an intense twist on classic iced tea.

INGREDIENTS: yunnan black tea, assam black tea, lapsang souchong black tea, flavoring

TASTES LIKE burnt sugar, walnut, mahogany
FEELS LIKE: belle époque train travel

VEGANGLUTEN FREENON GMO

About August Uncommon Tea View company

Samurai TTB #4

Michelle kindly included this one in the TTB at my request and I’m so glad she did! I’ve really enjoyed some of the other August Uncommon teas I’ve tried in the past and have recently been really enjoying more smoked teas, so this sounded right up my alley. And sure enough…I love it! It’s so rich and nuanced with the perfect blend of sweet and smoky flavors. This is one I’ll definitely be ordering for myself in the future!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Smoke, Toffee, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Courtney

Phew. After reading your previous four notes, I was hoping you’d come into a delicious tea!

I love this one too!

Inkling

Haha, thanks, Courtney! Now that I’ve had time to sort through and pull out teas I really want to try, I think it will be better. I was kinda just grabbing off the top the first day!

Its funny how our tastes can change over the years. I initially got into teas via flavored ones. I then moved on to pure teas, realizing that a really good tea was a delight all of its own. And for some reason, this fall I am drawn back to flavored ones.

The description of this tea sounded intriguing, but the presence of Lapsang Souchong made me nervous. I am not a fan of smoked anything. Mildly smoked pork is ok, but anything else is pretty gross. I have another smoky tea that I can’t stand and has never been used beyond the first cup.

But this was my first August Uncommon pourchase and I had an introduction 20% off code I wanted to make good use of. I have also not consumed sugar in any form for almost 7 years and I rarely make use of alternative sweeteners (months can go between uses). My options were limited. So i bought it anyway, telling myself you never know for sure until you try. And I’m glad I did.

The smoky flavor is mild, barely a hint, which helps a lot. There is a slight taste and smell of toffee. Nothing strong or overpowering, but it is there and its quite pleasant. None of the various flavors overpower or dominate over any of the others. This can actually be a failing in others where the flavors drown out the tea base itself. I feel Golden Arrow has a very nice balance that is so rare to find.

I also have to give kudos to August Uncommon in that they allow one to search based upon criteria such as sugar free. I very much appreciate not having to guess on which teas may or may not be safe for my consumption. (T2 diabetic. Just because sugar won’t kill me today doesn’t mean it won’t kill me in 20 years. Seriously, go on, have a little arsenic. You won’t fall over dead today, so obvious it must be safe.)

Flavors: Smoke, Toffee

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I put off drinking this for so long since it’s never really well received. However, as one of the oldest teas in my stash, I figured I should at least try it. I was surprised that the first sip actually had the burnt toffee flavor August Uncommon promises. The next mouthful was just lapsang and one that was sort of metallic. It seems the key is small sips. It’s fine but not something I really care for.

Smoke, burnt caramel, delicious. Almost out and very sad about it. Definitely need to restock eventually.

This tea brewed up rather weak the first time I drank it, so this time used double the leaf and it had a lot more taste. The tea can be steeped for 5+ minutes without getting bitter, but I’m not sure steeping longer makes for a better cup. There is definite smokyness here, not sure about the Assam or Yunnan. Sweet, burnt brown sugar lies under the smoky Lapsang Souchong; it reminds me of the top coating on a creme brulee or the sauce in bananas foster. While the caramel taste is interesting, it really doesn’t add much to the tea overall. I wanted to like this tea as it sounds yummy, but even adding honey to the second steeping didn’t change my opinion here. I won’t be drinking this again.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Smoke

Day 21 of our Advent Tea Swap. From amandastory516.

This is the only tea I’ve received from Amanda so far that I’ve tried previously. But it’s also one of my favorites from August Uncommon so no complaints here. :)

The smoke is prominent in the dry leaf, as well as in the wet leaves, but there is also something like cherry that comes through after steeping. I drank this one so quickly. I really just love it. So happy you sent this one, Amanda!

Flavors: Cherry, Smoke

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I wanted to log this tea earlier, but Steepster wouldn’t load it and gave me an error page. :/ It was a sipdown. I enjoyed my cup and the resteep, but don’t feel compelled to buy this tea again. I really wanted to love AU teas, but I’m just not falling for them, sadly.

VariaTEA

I had the same experience with AU. The blends all seem so unique but none stand out as that great to me.

OMGsrsly

I really like a couple of the herbal blends, but not enough to order again! Although, I think now they’re not all in tins so maybe customs wouldn’t have a fit about the metal in the package…

Dustin

They do come in bags now and in sample sizes. I think I ordered around 20 different blends and none of them were ones I need to keep in stock.

Home – 6:00 PM

I realized that I forgot to try an August Uncommon Tea blend yesterday. Oopsies!

It’s interesting to me how they don’t really mention the lapsang in this tea in the description. I looked at the ingredients, so I knew to expect it, but anyone who didn’t might be quite surprised by the scent! XD

To be honest, I could do with a bit less lapsang in this blend, it does dominate the Yunnan and Assam a bit (even though it’s listed last).

I think a bit more toffee flavor would be nice too. I do get a burnt brown sugar sort of note, but to me toffee has to taste buttery. This is closer to molasses with its dark and toasty sweetness.

The base tea blend does have some nice notes of tobacco, wood, and malt, and it’s definitely rich-tasting. However, I think the smokiness is a bit heavy-handed and it masks some of the other subtleties present here.

Not bad, but could definitely be improved.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Malt, Molasses, Smoke, Sweet, Tobacco, Wood

Honestly love this one so much it just smells so good and tastes just as good. Very elegant feeling. Honestly can’t ever imagine running out of this one. Drinking this as a Mood Booster today. It feels very 1920’s glamorous and smoky.

Sad times. this one smells more like toffee now when i open the tin, but still just tastes like a boring old lapsang. So i added rum cream to it. Much improved but not one i’d recommend from AU unless you a) like lapsang and b) get it for a fraction of the regular price.

Lexie Aleah

If your review had been up when I ordered my free sample size of this tea I would have gone with the Loops one instead. At least it was free, just wish I didn’t already have a bunch of Lapsang.

just be glad you didn’t order black lodge…or did you? haha

Lexie Aleah

Nope I’ve never tried that company’s teas before and they had a promo for 4 oz of free tea to pick from 4 flavor choices. You only had to pay .99 cents for shipping. I’m definitely glad I didn’t order that one.