Grey Grove Black Tea

Black Fruit Blend
Assam Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Fujian Xiao Zhong, Lemon Pieces, Lime, Marshmallow, Natural Bergamot Oil, Orange Wedges
Bergamot, Citrusy, Creamy, Citrus, Lemon, Lime, Marshmallow, Orange, Smooth, Sweet, Cookie, Malt, Powdered Sugar
High
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by EstrafaDC

• “I love earl grey, so I obviously had to try this one. It’s much milder than I thought it would be. In my first mug of this, I tasted some light creaminess on top of the black tea, but not much...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a crazy delicious Earl Grey tea. I will be honest and admit being perplexed by the four black tea blend and figured Orange as a feature to this version couldn’t possibly promise much. But I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! (8 | 460) Really enjoyed this one. Actually, it reminds me of the Walking on Sunshine white tea that I had a few weeks ago, with similar lemon marshmallow fluff notes. I will say, I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bought extra of this tea as I was anticipating liking it – and I certainly do. There’s something more here than just a citrus/EG black – I can’t tell you what, maybe it’s the base tea? Maybe it’s...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for July 26, 2021!

I grew up in Orange County, California, and back when I still young, there were still some orange groves around. I know that most – if not all – are gone now to make way for city “improvements” (if you want to call it that). I recall when I was young – how lovely it would be to drive by an orange grove with the window down when the trees were in bloom as well as when they were ready for harvest. The fragrance of orange (or orange blossoms, in the case of the trees in bloom) filled the air.

Grey Grove was crafted in recognition of those lovely, citrus-filled memories. This blend starts out with a unique blend of black teas: Assam, Ceylon, Fujian & Laoshan black teas – these teas were carefully chosen to create a full & well-rounded black base. Strong but not too astringent – because the citrus fruits (particularly bergamot) can be quite astringent on their own so I wanted something that would be robust & malty without being too dry. To this blend of black teas, I added some top quality, cold-pressed, organic bergamot oil & dried citrus fruit wedges: orange, lime & lemon. Then I added just a hint of marshmallow essence to soften the edge of these bright citrus fruits. Think of it as a ‘touch of cloud’ to soften the bright sunshine in a citrus grove.

The result is a cuppa that is quite unlike anything I’ve tasted, but yet so familiar. I taste the Earl Grey there, but it is a softened version of Earl Grey. I taste the bright citrus notes of lemon & lime as well as the sweetness of orange. I taste the subtle kiss of marshmallow. It’s quite lovely, very citrusy, tangy-tart & beautifully sweet.

It’s also VEGAN, gluten-free, allergen-friendly & all natural!

ingredients: black teas & orange blossoms

organic ingredients: black teas, bergamot, oranges, lemons, limes & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

I love earl grey, so I obviously had to try this one. It’s much milder than I thought it would be. In my first mug of this, I tasted some light creaminess on top of the black tea, but not much citrus. The bergamot is mild, but not bad. This tea would probably be best without milk added, but I basically always drink my black teas with milk, so I don’t know if I’d love that. I’m trying this again with a longer steep, and this time it’s less creamy, but I can tell the black tea didn’t enjoy the extra time. I think I do get some lemon now, but I preferred the shorter, creamier steep. The lemon flavor is really sticking around even a few minutes after drinking this, but it’s a sharper lemon than I’d prefer.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is a crazy delicious Earl Grey tea. I will be honest and admit being perplexed by the four black tea blend and figured Orange as a feature to this version couldn’t possibly promise much. But I went ahead and ordered a taster and was utterly blown away by it. I can only talk it up to those four black teas together and that marshmallow essence at the end. Any case I’ve gone ahead and placed an order for more. I know the bergamot is there, it’s perfuminess perfuminess is hard to mistake, but there is a creamy swirl here that is holding everything together. And the addition of the fresh orange, lemon, and lime pieces really makes for a lovely more fullsome relative to EG.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrusy, Creamy

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown! (8 | 460)

I will say, I almost wish there was a bit more bergamot here, as I feel like it gets fairly overshadowed by the other flavors. But it’s really more of a nitpick, as it’s still a lovely citrusy black tea with a creamy, sweet edge to it. The hint of lime adds a nice slight sharpness that brightens it up a bit.

Tasty tea!

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Creamy, Lemon, Lime, Marshmallow, Orange, Smooth, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

Bought extra of this tea as I was anticipating liking it – and I certainly do. There’s something more here than just a citrus/EG black – I can’t tell you what, maybe it’s the base tea? Maybe it’s some flavouring ingredient? But either way, the brewed aroma of my first cup was intoxicating with some decadent richness, and the tea was completely delicious. It wasn’t quite as good the second time (I think I may have hit that magical time-temp-leaf:water ratio sweet spot that first time), but I still very much enjoyed it.

All I have to say is, another earl grey win from 52teas and certainly worth trying if you enjoy earl grey variations. The bergamot is also not particularly potent, so those who enjoy citrussy blacks (citrus juice, not bitter/pithy peel!) would probably also enjoy the blend.

July 2021 Tea

I wasn’t super stoked about this one when I initially received it but it won me over for today’s sipdown. It’s just a solid Earl Grey with ALL the citrus. There’s a bit of a sugar cookie (or some kind of fluffy sugar dessert) to it as well. It’s super smooth and mildly astringent with a juicy citrus finish (even through oat milk).

It reminds me a little of a less astringent Silk Road’s Canton Orange (RIP), but then the lime kicks in with all it’s complex lime magic. I love lime; it’s probably may favourite citrus (except when it’s orange or grapefruit), and it’s here in all its splendour.

There’s also lemon and bergamot flavour, but I oddly get orange (while cup was hotter) and then lime (as it cooled and as a lingering flavour). Lots of citrus – only missing yuzu and grapefruit (that’s ok, because those two are a lot).

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Cookie, Lemon, Lime, Malt, Orange, Powdered Sugar