Another new tea – and one I have been very excitedly waiting to talk about!

I’ve thought that a pancake tea would be a very fun idea for DT to do for a long time. The maple flavour that is used in other DT blends, like Maple Syrup Oolong, is so perfect for that concept and there’s just a lot of fun directions you could take the idea while sticking to DT’s “style” of blend. Personally, I thought something like Banana Pancakes was probably the route that would end up being explored – but I am thrilled that we went with Blueberry Pancakes instead!

I joke that there isn’t a blueberry tea from DT that I don’t like and this tea is not about to be the exception. There’s just something about the way DT blueberry teas manage to balance that jammy sweetness with a bright juiciness that speaks to me on a different level than the way a lot of other companies approach blueberry. That fun balance of sweet and syrupy blueberry with juicy bright blueberry is perfection here – and I think it makes a lot of sense for the tea. I remember having blueberry pancakes as a kid, and every now getting the bite with the super plump blueberry that just exploded in your mouth. That’s kind of what’s happening here, but with each sip!

And of course the maple is great! It could have been this flavour that was too heavy handed or too sweet, but I think it’s just balanced enough to not be the main flavour focus (that should be the blueberry!) while also not being lost at all. It’s like pouring the perfect amount of syrup on your pancakes: you don’t want them to be dripping with syrup but you definitely want to taste it in each bite or, in this case, sip.

The only thing I don’t love is that you can’t add milk because of the hibiscus in the blend. It’s a bit of a Catch 22 though, because I know that without the slight addition of hibiscus the flavour of the blueberry wouldn’t be as juicy/pop as much and I don’t think I want to give up that flavour quality either. So kind of sucks – but I do have other DT blueberry blends that I can add milk to (like my beloved Blueberry Jam) so I guess I can live with it.

Hello! My name is Kelly, though many people in the tea community call me Ros or Roswell.

I am a mid-twenties tea addict, blogger, and all around nerd. I grew up in the Prairies, but a few years ago I relocated to Quebec to pursue a career with DAVIDsTEA in the tea industry! I’m still working on getting my French language skills down…

My first introduction to tea, in any form outside of instant and bottled iced tea, was about seven years ago when I happened to stumble upon DAVIDsTEA while looking for a birthday present for a friend! I tried their Birthday Cake rooibos blend, and I’ve been hooked on tea ever since! In those seven years; I was introduced to the online tea community, expanded my interest in flavoured teas to include a deep love and appreciation for straight teas and traditional brewing methods, got a tea themed tattoo, started reviewing teas, amassed a sizable tea and teaware collection, became a TAC certified Tea Sommelier, & even came full circle by beginning a career in the tea industry with DAVIDsTEA!

I consider myself a Jack of all Teas, and strive to have a knowledge and appreciation of all tea types, formats, and styles of drinking. I don’t like to feel boxed in to just being a “flavoured tea” or “straight tea” drinker – my expectations may vary depending on the type of tea or how it’s been processed/prepared but if it’s good tea, it’s good tea no matter how it’s been made!

You name it, I probably drink it- and I’ll absolutely try anything at least once.

My default method of preparation is hot, Western style, and straight – but I’m not opposed to additions if I’m in the right mood. If I ever add something to a tea or use a different method of preparation I will ALWAYS call it out in the tasting note though.

I like to listen to music when drinking tea, especially when I’m brewing a large pot at a time or steeping Gongfu. Often I curate very intentional tea and music pairings, and sometimes I share them here in my tasting reviews. Music is something that I find can deeply affect the experience of having tea.

I’m also one half of the “tea and fandom” podcast GeekSteep where, weekly, we discuss newly explored fandoms over tea as well as try to figure out the perfect tea to pair with each fandom. You can find us on Spotify and Apple & Google podcasts.

Favourite flavour notes/ingredients: Pear, lychee, cranberry, cream, melon, pineapple, malt, roasty, petrichor, sweet potato, heady florals like rose, hazelnut or walnut, sesame, honey (in moderation), and very woody shou.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strongly spiced profiles (and most Chai in general), mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, stevia, saltiness or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Please contact me at the instagram account listed below if you would like me to review your teas.

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA