drank Sangria by DAVIDsTEA

This tea is a bit of an enigma to me. I’ve finally drank down my stash of it, but it has definitely been a journey. I find the orange, liquorice root, and hibiscus to be quite nauseating together. Something about the tea tastes like it’s trying to be alcohol. I don’t appreciate alcoholic notes in my teas, and Sangria is no exception. Some things can’t, and shouldn’t, be emulated in a tea.

As I was drinking this, I found myself physically grimacing. I couldn’t finish my mug; luckily this was also my last bit of the loose leaf. I think I specifically hate the liquorice root in this tea. After swallowing, the liquorice root leaves a sickly sweetness in the mouth, along the lines of very sweet liqueurs I have tried. If I drank an entire cup of this I would likely end up with a headache.

Update: I am feeling quite sick to my stomach after drinking about half a mug of this. It’s likely a mental reaction, and maybe I’m being ridiculous, but this has got to be the worst tea I have ever drank from DAVIDsTEA.

Flavors: Alcohol, Hibiscus, Orange

Iced 4 min, 0 sec

Law student from Alberta, Canada with a passion for all things tea after quitting coffee. Currently drinking primarily DAVIDsTEA blends due to proximity and convenience, but open to expanding my tea-rizons in the near future.

LIKES
Apple, caramel, vanilla, coconut, jasmine tea, malty black teas, sweet blackberry leaves, guayusa, white tea, peach, strawberry, creaminess, raspberry leaves, Chinese teas, anything smooth and creamy!!! Highly caffeinated blends have my heart.

DISLIKES
Vegetal green teas, astringency, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns, hibiscus, alcoholic notes, stevia. I prefer teas that don’t contain dairy or artificial flavouring (which begs the question why 90% of my blends come from DAVIDsTEA, the king of artificial flavouring in the tea world). Herbals, tisanes, and rooibos teas tend to sit at the back of my tea cupboard. That being said, I’ll drink almost anything at least once.

RATING SYSTEM
0-20: I cannot get through a cup of this, it will be given away/thrown out.
20-40: Tolerable. Will definitely not repurchase.
40-60: Average. Will likely not repurchase.
60-80: Good to very good. May repurchase if I’m in the mood for one of these teas, but these teas are not staples in my collection.
80-95: Will very likely repurchase, but these teas are something I could live without or easily find a suitable substitute.
95-100: Staples. Must always have on hand, would go to the ends of the earth to track down if discontinued.

PREPARATION
I make all of my teas Western style, but if I do get more into straight teas in the future you can bet I will be buying a gong fu set. If I’ve added any milk to my teas, it’s always vanilla soy milk, and I do not add sweetener unless otherwise noted. Usually I’m very good about making a note of any additional ingredients I’ve added to the tea.