drank Mao Feng by Mandala Tea

Today it smells like dried basil and an ant colony. Ohhh sweet larvae. And sweetened egg yolk?

It tastes like the idea of the essence of lotus seed moon cake added to a bottle of spring water with grass living in it. Cooling, herbalmint finish. Little bit of osmanthus aftertaste.

Flavors: Basil, Egg, Grass, Herbal, Mineral, Mint, Mushrooms, Nutty, Osmanthus, Pastries, Spring Water, Sugar, Sweet, Umami

gmathis

I think you just topped yourself on taste analogies!

ashmanra

Ant colony! I think I know that smell! Homeschooling will do that for you.

derk

Sometimes the brain goes places when the usual associations don’t match.

Comments

gmathis

I think you just topped yourself on taste analogies!

ashmanra

Ant colony! I think I know that smell! Homeschooling will do that for you.

derk

Sometimes the brain goes places when the usual associations don’t match.

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA