Fulfilling Mastress Alita’s Monthly Sipdown Challenge, April 2022 edition, with
A Raisin-y Tea

When I bought from A Thirst for Tea in January?, I wanted to try a variety of tea types spanning their price range. This black tea from Assam is among the cheapest teas on the site at $2.95 for 25g, while the Snow Orchid Dancong Oolong I noted yesterday is $26.00 for the same grammage.

As gmathis sometimes puts it, this is a ‘bog standard’ black in the Assam world. It’s pretty bright, robust and brisk yet smooth with darkwoody-malty taste and notes of raisin and dried sour cherry that waft out of the mid/high tones and into the nose. Sometimes I get some bitterness, but this otherwise makes consistent, highly caffeinated cups both from the sub-boiling water dispenser at work and from actual boiling at home. I can steep it for 3 minutes or the recommended 5-7 minutes and it usually comes out with minimal difference in character.

Informally recommended for the price, consistent brew and the get up and go.

Flavors: Bitter, Brisk, Cherry, Dark Wood, Malt, Raisins, Smooth, Tangy

3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
gmathis

This sounds like it fits my other favorite adjective … ungoofable.

derk

Essentially yes. The bitterness is more noticeable at work, probably because, ya know, work.

Comments

gmathis

This sounds like it fits my other favorite adjective … ungoofable.

derk

Eventual tea farmer. If you are a tea grower, want to grow your own plants or are simply curious, please follow me so we can chat.

I most enjoy loose-leaf, unflavored teas and tisanes. Always on the lookout for teas from countries and regions not commonly known for tea production or those that are not well represented in the western market. I seek these teas to gain an understanding, however vague, of how this plant performs in different climates.

bicycle bicycle bicycle