I don’t want to say how great this sencha is for my preferences knowing there are only 25g bags left at What-Cha, but oh, look what I have done.

What sets this apart from pretty much every sencha I’ve had (which truthfully isn’t a lot because it’s not a preferred type of tea) is a very smooth and colloidal body with an oily, coating mouthfeel. I was not expecting that! It has a light dried flowers-sweet grassy-corn husk-nutty flavor with a deeper, wheatgrassy-seaweedy nuance, something to anchor the taste within that body. A gentle cooling finish. First infusion can leave a little burst of peach in the aftertaste. The tea doesn’t taste bitter but a mellow bitterness eventually surfaces throughout the mouth. Now at the bottom of my second bowl, my tongue tingles with a pleasant salty-metallic excitement!

This evening, with my first preparation of this tea (btw, all but the few chopped stems sinks), I am getting a drying catch in the throat, so I’ll have to use less leaf next time. Regardless, this is quite interesting, hefty and soothing. Being from Okinawa, I guess this tea is out of the normal range of sencha offered by most western-facing vendors. Worth a try!

Summer 2020 harvest

Flavors: Bitter, Butter, Corn Husk, Drying, Floral, Metallic, Nutty, Olive Oil, Peach, Salt, Seaweed, Smooth, Sweet, Warm Grass, Thick

160 °F / 71 °C 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML