drank Jardin Sauvage by Lupicia

I fell asleep, leaving a hot cup to cool on my nightstand overnight. The cold cup this morning had the impression of a sugary sweetness like that of dried fruit, which is in this blend, or maybe even an overripe melon, you know? All I could taste was mango – the same mango as Hi-Chew candies – and maybe a little bit of melon influence. The mineral quality of the green rooibos kept the flavor from being cloying. I echo the sentiment of a lot of Steepsters in that I think green rooibos is a great blending component.

I also made a hot cup for Kiki last night. Because I passed out, I was unable to get her real-time opinion. She said this morning that she really liked it because it was so fruity. “Very nice!”

Thank you Cameron B for this sample :) Will you be back this winter?

Flavors: Candy, Dried Fruit, Mango, Melon, Mineral, Sweet

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA