Another one from White Antlers. This one’s fresh-e-fresh. I saved 3 grams from the pouch to make a western cup. I wonder to whom I forwarded the rest.

When I travel (oh COVID, when will you depart), my packings are minimal. When I house-sit, the amenities here are never sparse (I could get by as I would on vacation by bringing only a toothbrush, medication and a few days worth of clothes), yet I brought 6 bags with me. Today is the final day of house-sitting for my work father. The place is a mess even though I’ve occupied only the bedroom, bathroom and barely the kitchen. In this whirlwind moment of cleaning and gathering my belongings, I steeped up what little I saved of this tea and of course forgot about it for 10 minutes.

Luckily, my folly didn’t ruin the tea, which means it’s a solid tea. The dry leaves smell strongly of roasted peanut and cocoa. Steeped up, it has a full, smooth body with a heavy malty-sweet overtone and complex undertones of leather, peanut, cocoa, baked bread, stonefruit, caramel, banana, tannins and flowers. Lingering malty-stonefruit-peanut aftertaste. It lacks a little kick to adequately grab my attention (perhaps the long steep time muted some quirks) but it’s a satisfying brew regardless.

Flavors: Banana, Bread, Caramel, Cocoa, Flowers, Leather, Malt, Peanut, Smooth, Stonefruit, Sweet, Tannin, Wood

Boiling 8 min or more 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

Eventual tea farmer. If you are a tea grower, want to grow your own plants or are simply curious, please follow me so we can chat.

I most enjoy loose-leaf, unflavored teas and tisanes. Always on the lookout for teas from countries and regions not commonly known for tea production or those that are not well represented in the western market. I seek these teas to gain an understanding, however vague, of how this plant performs in different climates.

bicycle bicycle bicycle