2017 harvest.

Cool, slick mineral-pear sweetness. Very floral perfume with gardenias, vanilla, sweet pea and lilac. Some roasted almond and baked bread provide deeper notes. Creamy bulb flowers like narcissus and lily in the aftertaste. Cooling and drying in the mouth, warming in the body. Strong zoning out and calm followed by a caffeine rush. Plenty of longevity brewed gongfu with longer steep times. This was the best Zhangping Shuixian oolong I’ve had.

7.5g, 150mL glass gaiwan, 195F

Flavors: Almond, Bread, Creamy, Drying, Floral, Flowers, Gardenias, Mineral, Narcissus, Nectar, Pear, Perfume, Roasted, Sweet, Vanilla

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 OZ / 150 ML

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA