drank Chai Rooibos by Yogi Tea

Sent a few bags to Mr. Bednar without trying it myself first.

It’s fine, nothing special and not worth the sometimes steep prices Yogi teas can fetch. I smell it all, I taste it all — rooibos, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, clove (barely on swallow), stevia. Despite the nose-burning spice of the dry bag it’s not spicy in taste. It’s not initially sweet but much later after a swig the stevia comes out as a kind of superficial sweet slickness lining my mouth. The brew is watery. Another meh by Yogi.

Martin: my bag tag says, “In life, don’t create just an impression, create a trust.” What?? On some level I get it but it’s so vague, kind of like Yogi teas themselves. Anybody want to enlighten me because I feel I’ve failed, haha.

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Martin Bednář

Yeah, their quotes sometimes hit the nail on the head. But sometimes they are weird or vague. Their blends sounds in theory usually so tast, nice packaging; but they should focus on teas I guess.

gmathis

Taking a mental inventory, but I don’t think I’ve ever liked a Yogi tea. Always far too slick and sweet, as you’ve mentioned here.

Eelong

Never had a Yogi that I’ve liked, either. They go way too hard with the stevia and licorice root. I feel like Yogi makes blends that are meant to appeal to people who have deprived themselves of sweets for years and have forgotten what caramel or mocha or whatever actually tastes like.

Martin Bednář

I kind of enjoyed Yogi (but European version) with name “Positive energy”. But I rated it “only” 75/100.

Comments

Martin Bednář

gmathis

Eelong

Martin Bednář

If you’re an aspiring or current tea grower, let’s talk! I am slowly beginning a tea farm here in Northern California. Currently growing are young plants pulled from the ground and gifted to me after a visit to Fairhope Tea Plantation in Alabama. The parent plants are sinensis variety from a defunct Lipton research project. I’ve also started seeds from Camellia Forest Nursery in North Carolina. The types include Camellia taliensis, an assamica variety, and 3 sinensis varieties including “Small leaf” “Large leaf” and “Black Sea.” I also picked up 2 older plants from a a local nursery. They were grown from seed supposedly acquired from a tea farm in Washington. To learn how to process tea into different styles, I plan on traveling to China and Taiwan if/when COVID becomes a relative non-issue. I’m taking Mandarin classes to aid in this journey.

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came, following a lone tin of some Tie Guan Yin oolong many years prior, in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most.

Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently. Drink a variety of teabags at work. Herbal teas/tisanes provide balance. Unfiltered tap water heathen (it’s good here).

One thing I will always love is riding a bicycle.

Sonoma County, California, USA